The Hedgehog's Gentle Night

Hogging hedges, pointy edges.
Beady eyes, but no eyelashes.Pig-like snouts with a pointy nose,And a quivering back that flows.Walnut, ink and grey like stone.Beneath the leaves the wind has blown.Basking in the moonlight bright,Wishing all a gentle night.

Squeaking as we travel thenceforth.Watch my luminous spikes direct north.For evening glory we must seek,As we hunt for the foods that reek.Fear us, insect, root and snail!For we shall feast and shall prevail!But to those who try to pick a fight,We wish those no gentle night.

Cover blown as winter crawls,And silvery sleet has stained the walls.Pursue our footsteps in the snow;We're buried in a fort below,Rubbing against our quills like wool,Resting with a belly full.We're sleeping in our burrow tight,Wishing all a gentle night.Foolish siblings, don't go far!Avoid the humming of the car!We hedgehogs, we are oft unknown,To the dangers of a world so grown.We wither away like a thorny rose,And on the roads, we decompose.Caught in the lonely fields so small,I'll roll into a spiky ball.Find my weapons, hear my cry!But I'm afraid to say goodbye.Remember us and heed our plight,And wish us, too, a gentle night.