Chapter Sixteen

I'm not sure how long I stood there, thoughts flying everywhere, in the middle of the arena. At one point I started singing some new lyrics I had created just a few days ago. It sounded great in this empty arena, making me sure I was on the right path when it came to writing a second album. When I felt like I was inside a sinking boat, running out of time, I was at my best when it came to writing songs.

After trying the text out loud a few times, the silence returned. I let the silence come to me for a while, until a memory crept into my mind. How many times had Harry and I been standing here? Before the rest of the band would arrive. It was something we were faithful to, exploring the empty arena beforehand. Usually there were only a few employees, who were in charge of the light or sound or the day-to-day operation of the tour, but that was it.

One song. Only one song. And an empty arena. Just me and Harry singing our song; '18'. Neither of us had written it, but it was written for us by our dear friend Ed Sheeran. And we cherished it like no other.

"I have loved you since we were 18"

The words automatically flew out of my mouth. I knew them by heart, understanding full well that I would never forget them.

"Long before we both thought the same thing
To be loved and to be in love
And all I can do is say that these arms
Are made for holding you, oh-oh-oh
And I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18"

That's where I stopped, because it sounded ridiculous. I felt pathetic for singing a song like that on my own in an empty room. It was supposed to be sung in a packed arena in front of thousand of fans by a band that was no more. And if it was sung in an empty arena, then there was one critical thing missing here. I had no right to sing it on my own.

Stumbling was heard somewhere in the distance. My head turned to the direction where the sound was coming from, only to be met with the sight of Lily and Oli. As always Lily clung to some electrical device. Mostly she had a laptop laying around somewhere. On tour apparently the laptop would be switched into an iPad. Oli carefully watched at something that Lily indicated on that very same iPad. Things had been different lately between them. They sure seemed to get along very well.

It does not take long to go from being friends to lovers. They just may not know that the transition has already begun, my mind suddenly told me. Though Lily clearly hadn't picked up on the harmless flirting Oli often did, I had. Truth be told, I knew Oli better than her, making me see the subtle signs not only as mere banter but also as flirting. Of course, I knew a few of his moves and tricks too. We knew each other since high school, where we served as each others wingman more often than not.

Then there was the texting, which became a bit annoying. Okay, a tour had to be planned in order to be succesful and they had to be in constant contact as both my assistant and tour manager, but it rose to an unprecedented amount of time, that wasn't healthy for anyone. The daily dose of interaction just didn't cut it. They were drawn to each other like moths to a flame.

It was definitely mutual. Lily had this habit of giving literally everyone a nickname but not Oli. She called him Olls or O, like me, at the very beginning but suddenly stopped doing that, which was really fishy. Oh, and her eyes seem to follow him everywhere lately. I felt excited that I was there to see it all happening, though, it sometimes shot a pang through my own chest. Those first stages of infatuation gave you the best feeling in the world.

"Oi!", I shouted out of the blue, making both of their heads turn to me.

"Oh, we didn't see you there," Oli said, but his eyes were already wandering back to Lily's hands.

"Of course not!", I added, "only have eyes for each other."
Both Oli and Lily just looked confused for the most part, trying to make sense of what I was insinuating.

"We are both planning your tour, Lou," Lily said after sharing a glance with Oli.
Sure be oblivious, I thought. Just like I was when Harry made his first move on me. Did we get help from Liam, Niall and Zayn? Because I was determined to lend Oli and Lily a hand somehow.