○♣︎○♣︎○Chapter 26○♣︎○♣︎○

The food was disgusting to say the least.

And of course, it wasn't free.

Keith told me not to threaten the innkeeper again. He didn't want the authorities called on us. Reluctantly, I spooned a bite of the wretched stew into my mouth.

Holding back a gag, I quickly swallowed and downed my beaker of water.

The inn wasn't crowded but a few travelers sat around one of the tables. They seemed to be farming folk.

"I can't wait to get out of here" I whisperd to Keith.

He took a draft of his lukewarm coffee and nodded his head.

"The coffee tastes like the beans have been re-used at least three times" he said. Keith's displeasure displayed on his face as he swirled the weak liquid in his mug.

Suppressing a smile, I pulled out one of the bone knives we'd taken from the captives.

I fingered the blade, I wonder what bones they used to make these...

"Put that away, we don't want people seeing it" ordered Keith. I narrowed my eyes at him as he drained the last of his coffee.

But eventually I slid the knife back into my belt.

"We should go soon, I don't like this town" I confessed.

I pushed my bowl away from me and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Patience is a virtue" Remarked Kieth.

"Patience is a pain, why can't we just go find the base right now? We have the map-"

Keith set his mug down on the counter. His stone cold stare locked onto me.

"What do you think the bone clan will do if their spies don't return" Keith asked me.

I never thought about it.

Keith continued on.

"They'll boost their defenses and be extra vigilant. Because they were found, they'll be expecting an attack" he said.

My eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"So we wait for them to grow lazy?" I asked.

Keith rolled his eyes. He stood up and gestured for me to as well.

"Put it however you like. But yes, that's the general point" he jeered.

I assumed an annoyed expression.

Keith placed two gold coins on the counter.

"But I thought we had to be patient?" I wondered.

Keith smirked at me.

"I never said we had to be patient in this place" he pointed out.

He started towards the door. I turned to follow him but stopped as I bumped into his back.

"What?" I asked.

Keith quickly turned around and grabbed my arm. He jerked me around the counter and pulled me down so we were crouching behind it.

The second we crouched down I heard the front door slam back on its hinges.

I glanced at Keith, he held a finger to his mouth, signaling for silence.

I heard movement behind me and turned to see the server girl slip into the room.

She stood right above us.

She didn't spare us a glance, she stepped over me and stood at the counter.

"What can I do for you three gentlemen?" She said easily.