Chapter II

***A/N: Zhang Zhehan's attire for this chapter was illustrated by our awesome Brilcrist here
https://twitter.com/agikun/status/1513148802483781635

----------

A skyscraper stood tall at the heart of the business district. It was just one among the towering iron trees in the eternally bustling city, and yet each one of these buildings always had a particular air on them, allowing passersby to tell them apart, recognizing just who was the mogul running business inside such spectacular structures. This certain skyscraper was not an exception, naturally. Those who spent their daily lives running in the same circle over and over again within the town's busy society would be able to tell at a glance the powerful figures behind this lofty property.

Indeed, it was the headquarters of a business conglomerate owned by none other than the influential Gong family.

On the top most floor of the building, a large office occupied half of the floor's eastern side. The interior was designed in minimalist style, both the choice of color and decorations were not too excessive, giving the room an elegant air. First, there was a sitting area past the entrance door, with comfortable couches and a coffee table arranged neatly to receive important guests. This area was neither too small nor too large, decent but didn't look like a show-off. Separated by a decorative shelf, there was then an executive meeting area on the other side. The long table and black chairs were just enough to accomodate about eight to ten people. It was clearly intended to be used only for the most vital and private meeting among the higher-ups.

Finally, at the furthermost end of the room, in front of the floor-to-ceiling window directly facing the city landscape, there was the work desk of this headquarters' highest level figure.

Gong Jun sat absentmindedly behind his desk. The table was large enough to surround him in half a circle; to his right was where he placed his computer and desk phone, to his left was the files and documents he was working on, while the middle part was kept clean for him to read and write. The chair he was sitting on was covered in shiny black leather, the back and headrest was taller than his head, allowing him to lean back comfortably whenever he wanted to.

The round clock attached to the wall showed that it was just a little past three in the afternoon. Outside, the sun was still shining brightly, the sky a perfect blue, with occasional billows of white clouds passing by. Suffice to say, it was still an effective working hour, and yet the young man sitting on this executive chair seemed to have his mind wandering elsewhere. He was staring at his computer screen, but not a single character displayed there was registered into his brain. In his hand, he kept spinning a pen between his fingers, not even realizing that at one point the pen had fallen with a clatter to the table.

His secretary had knocked on the door a minute earlier to deliver him some documents to sign. She took a peek inside after not receiving any answer. Seeing that her boss wasn't in the middle of calling someone, she said a perfunctory "Excuse me" and approached his desk, all the while explaining the purpose of her visit. But a full minute had passed since then and Gong Jun still didn't realize another living creature had been standing in front of him.

Eventually, his secretary couldn't take it any longer.

"Mr. President."

Other than a little sigh, she received no other response.

"Mr. President."

This time the secretary called him while rapping on the table. Only then did Gong Jun snap out of his dream, staring at her dumbfounded.

"Since when have you been here?" he asked like someone who'd just seen a stray animal suddenly appearing in his house.

The secretary had to hold back the urge to roll her eyes.