17 | DIAGNOSIS & DANCES

AS THE HALL family, minus William, got to the luncheon, they felt somewhat out of place. People did notice that the Duke and Duchess had arrived back and that was what was mostly on their tongues rather than the scandal. But no one had given them the side eye nor made a comment, so perhaps it wasn't all bad.

Ophelia and Thomas mostly stayed beside each other. George, as usual, went off to play with Gregory and Hyacinth. Phillip had gotten stuck with speaking to some women, most of whom were trying to get a wedding ring on their own finger.

The tone of the luncheon changed when the Featheringtons arrived, without Miss Thompson. Ophelia could feel her brother tense slightly, but relaxed when he realised Miss Thompson was no where to be found. He would rather not see her after what had happened that morning between them.

Lady Featherington walked up to Phillip, who had joined his brothers and sister. "My dear Mr Hall, is this not a dreadful circumstance, for us both to have been so duped by that scheming hussy? To think that Miss Thompson would take advantage of my kindness  after I opened up my home to her. You must believe, I had no idea of-"

Phillip simply raised his hand to stop the woman from continuing before gently pushing his siblings to walk away from the Featheringtons, who were then asked to leave, having their invitation stripped from them.

Dearest reader, a question. Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret. Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one chooses a more secure pursuit. But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand which leaves gossip in short supplies in recent days. In fact, this author can think of no other even that merits a mention. It is worthy of note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

Daphne had told Ophelia that she managed to get a letter to the father of Miss Thompson's child. A Sir George Crane, a solider currently fighting in Spain with Wellington. All she wanted to do was help the poor girl and she though that maybe everyone in the Hall home would be upset by this, but Ophelia was quite happy. She knew that she could not do what Daphne had done and so was glad that the Duchess had taken it into her own hands.

Hall's had also decided not to go to the concert, finding out more about their fathers illness as the doctor had come for a visit. The symptoms were closely linked to what their mother and Phillip's wife had, Scarlet Fever. It was likely that their father would not last much longer. It broke the family, they wondered how their father had caught the disease, and why he had to leave them so soon.

Phillip was quick to get things in order for his father, for him to inherit the title that his father held. He was under pressure and that was understandable. Thomas had taken his fathers diagnosis to heart and spent most of his time beside his father, apologizing for everything he said about the painting. Ophelia and George spent a lot of time together, and wit their father. They were unsure of when he was to leave them, but they believed it to be before the end of the season. Upon his death, Phillip had planned for them all to go home, even if Ophelia had not secured a husband. 

William was to be buried at their ancestral home, beside their mother. They knew that would be what he wanted. But as for now, all the Hall children could do, was make lasting memories with their father.

The fastest courtship upon record occurred during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and licorice in just four and a half minutes. Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding. Reason unknown. Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship or indignity? Or will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match? As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season 1813, only two things will tell. Time, and, as always, this author.

The Hall family had not much time to go out an enjoy society. They had missed quite a lot, Daphne had visited after she heard about William's condition and had also told Ophelia that Marina's lover had died but was willing to have the child. It was a relief but as he had died, she had no one to care for her, except his brother, Phillip Crane. The Hall's had also missed quite the important boxing match, one of the fighters being Simon's friend, who ended up throwing the game.

While over, Daphne had invited the Hall's to the Hastings Ball. She did not expect them to come due to their fathers condition, but she invited them anyway. Phillip decided that Thomas and Ophelia should go, he would look after his father and George while they had a good night, it had been a while since either of them attended anything and perhaps it could be their last chance to do so.

Ophelia wore a white gown, decorated with black jewels and stitching. She wore her matching black tiara and jewelry. Thomas, in his usual black suit. The two arrived at the ball and noticed a few others staring at them, the ton had eventually learned of their fathers condition and many offered prayers and condolences. Ophelia managed to engage in a few dances, as did Thomas, as the night grew on. It almost made them forget about the troubles at home.