Secrets Past Time

Aiko attended the next war council, and had pretty much zoned out within five minutes of it, looking up only much later.

"It's written in some sort of code," said Nobunaga, passing the letter to Mitsuhide. Aiko leaned over to take a look. It wasn't a code, and Mitsuhide frowned slightly as he realized that.

"It's written in English," said Aiko, scanning it. "It's a letter to Kenshin from someone named Sasuke." Her eyes widened slightly as thoughts flashed across her mind faster than she could comprehend them. Sasuke's been teaching Kenshin English. "It's about the discourse in our territory, and how they could take advantage of it," she summarized.

Nobunaga and the rest stared, and Aiko realized her mistake.

"And from where did you learn English?" asked Nobunaga, his eyes narrowed. The temperature in the room dropped, and Aiko felt the weight of suspicion land on her. Too late, she remembered Nobunaga never really did like her. Aiko wondered what the right answer was.

"I picked it up during my studies," she said, wondering what she was talking about.

"You picked up the language of the Western traders during your studies," repeated Nobunaga, his eyes flashing with disbelief.

"I'm not a traitor," said an exasperated Aiko.

"Then where did you learn?" Aiko bit her lip. It wasn't a secret, but more of an unbelievable story, the stuff of fairy tales. And only Mai knew a part of it. Mai, who wasn't in the council today. "Mitsuhide," said Nobunaga.

Chills went up Aiko's spine. Mitsuhide hesitated for a brief moment before he looked up, his face an emotionless mask. "Yes, my lord?"

"Get the information from her. Use any means necessary." Aiko could hear the unspoken command, and with one glance around the room, knew everyone else heard it too. She fiddled with her fingers, only her breathing letting anyone know how unsettled she was. The man she'd seen on the floor of the dungeons flashed across her eyes.

"Lord Nobunaga, Aiko has never shown any signs of betraying us," said Hideyoshi. He was the last person she expected to stand up for her. But he wasn't looking at her as he spoke, he was looking at Mitsuhide with something akin to pity.

Nobunaga gave Hideyoshi a brief glance, but didn't acknowledge his words.

"Lord Nobunaga—"

"Hideyoshi," interjected Masamune quietly. "That was a direct order from him."

Hideyoshi looked away, throwing Aiko an apologetic glance as their eyes met. Aiko shook her head, attempting to convey with her eyes how grateful she was.

"Mitsuhide," Nobunaga said again. Mitsuhide looked away, and Nobunaga narrowed his eyes. "If you won't, I can get someone else to do it."

A series of complicated emotions flashed over his face as he grabbed Aiko by the arm. He didn't look at her as he dragged her out of the room, with her desperately trying to pull away. Shoving her into a room, he walked in and shut the door. Aiko backed away.

"Little one."

If Aiko didn't know better, she'd say he was in as much pain as she was going to feel before the day was over.

"Stay away!" she said as Mitsuhide stepped closer.

"I have my orders." He tilted her face upwards with a hand under her chin, and Aiko caught her breath.

"Please," she whispered.

"Then tell me the truth behind every lie you've spoken to me. Tell me where you're from, if not Azuchi."

She pulled away from Mitsuhide, searching for an escape route, but Mitsuhide blocked her way. Aiko felt the beginnings of fear—as if something was coiling around her heart. She threw a punch, and Mitsuhide caught it easily. He dragged her to the wall, and pushed her up against it. Aiko kicked and struggled, and he placed his knee between her legs, immobilizing her effectively.

"Dammit," she muttered, close to tears.

"I'll ask again," said Mitsuhide. His face was close to hers, and she could feel his breath on her ear. "Tell me, and we'll end this painlessly."

His grip on her wrist tightened, and Aiko whimpered. The door burst open. Mitsuhide let go of her wrist, and with nothing holding her up, she slid to the floor.

Mai ran in, breathless. "Stop." She walked over to Aiko, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Are you hurt?"

Aiko took a second to breathe and steady her pounding heart. "Physically? Not yet." Her voice broke.

"I heard what happened in the meeting. Are you trying to keep it a secret? Do you have to?"

Aiko shook her head, not trusting herself to speak anymore.

"Then you're not telling him because you think he wouldn't believe you, right?"

Aiko nodded, and Mitsuhide's eyes widened.

"I can back up your story. I have items from our time. I have evidence."

Mitsuhide, who had been watching the proceedings silently, looked between them both. "Our time?" he repeated.

Mai pulled a small purse from the sleeve of her kimono, and emptied the contents onto the floor. Aiko watched impassively as they tumbled down. A pamphlet, a phone, a teddy bear.

Mitsuhide raised an eyebrow as he picked up the teddy bear. "It seems you have a story to tell me."

"Go on," encouraged Mai gently. Aiko looked away, wondering where to start.

"I lived another life in the 21st century," she started. She spoke of how she was an orphan sold to a war, how she'd served as soldier, general, teammate. How she'd died and become Aiko, starting a new life halfway.

"I see," said Mitsuhide, who was now inspecting Mai's dead phone. "You weren't wrong. It was a far-fetched story. But even if it weren't for Mai's items here, I would have believed you."

"What?" asked Aiko, looking up.

He smiled softly. "Well, you can't really tell a convincing lie, little mouse."

She huffed, her cheeks puffing up like a squirrel's.

Mai picked up her things and placed them back in her purse. "You know her story now, like how Nobunaga knows mine."

"Thank you," said Aiko, as Mai turned to leave. Mai offered her the briefest of smiles before she left, and Aiko was left with a desire to ask her to stay.

"Little one," said Mitsuhide. Aiko didn't look up. He tilted her chin up, his forehead touching hers. "I'm sorry."

Letting go, he left the room, and Aiko sighed. She buried her face in her knees. He really would've broken her fingers if he had to. What a dangerous person to fall for.

His footsteps approached her again, but she ignored them until he sat beside her. Despite her protests, he pulled her into his lap. Mitsuhide brought a cup of water to her lips, and she drank without complaint. As her tears started falling, she scrubbed them away, and he stopped her, wiping them for her instead. Fighting down the desire to start wailing, she leaned against his chest, and she fell asleep, feelings still conflicted.

************************************

That was fun.