Back to You

Someone else brought Aiko's dinner the next night. Usually it was Shingen, but it seemed he'd sent someone else. Aiko didn't even look up as he set the tray down and left. She was treated well, but she missed Mitsuhide so much.

But she needed to eat if she wanted to get out of here.

Sighing, she pulled the tray to her, and froze as the gentle click of metal hung in the air. That was new. She lifted the tray, and underneath it was a letter and a small pouch.

Aiko grabbed the letter first, and smiled as she recognized the handwriting.

To my little mouse,

How do you fare? Although Kasugayama may not be your favorite considering the circumstances, I assure you Shingen knows how to treat his hostages. It is in this belief that we have yet to launch a night raid.

Although launching a raid is too risky, I know you're smart, so you must have realized how I got this letter to you. Remember, almost anyone can be paid off. But be careful in who you choose to tempt.

Mitsuhide

Aiko smiled as she lifted the pouch he'd left her, the gentle clicking of gold coins giving her hope. She hid the pouch and letter in her sleeve as someone walked in.

"Shingen?" Did he already know Mitsuhide had sent her a letter? But no, he didn't look furious. He was smiling, a shadow in his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I came here to see you."

His tone and words were gentle. Aiko gestured to the seat beside her, surprised into politeness. "Have a seat."

He took a seat beside her and leaned back on his arms. "Your voice is enough to comfort someone."

"Thanks," she said, not taking his words seriously. "You look like someone who's been betrayed by his best friend." He winced, and Aiko knew she'd hit too close to home. "Sorry."

"It's alright." He fell silent for a second, and perhaps it was the silence that prompted his next words. "Kennyo was a good man."

"What do you mean?" asked Aiko.

"He was a good man. He was just... consumed by a desire for revenge." Ah yes, demons run when a good man goes to war. Shingen smiled. "Are you good at reading people? If so, I need to be more careful around you."

Aiko shook her head, as she looked up. "I have a good sense of intuition, and an abysmal sense of social situations. Which means I have no idea what to say, but I hope the pain eases soon."

He nodded. "Thank you, goddess."

Aiko felt the beginnings of curiosity. "Why do you keep calling me that?'

Shingen's gaze softened and Aiko blinked. "You're a valuable part of Oda's war council, a woman who seems to love to read, and a goddess who's captured the hearts of both Mitsuhide and me. What else could you be?"

She took a moment to process what he implied. "There's no way either of you..."

"You're free to believe whatever you wish, but know that I don't jest." He reached out to touch her hair, but then stopped when he saw her eyes. "And you've fallen for a traitor."

"He's not a traitor," said Aiko, more intent on defending him than denying that she loved him.

"He certainly makes himself out to be."

"Doesn't matter. I'd trust him with my life."

"See if you can trust him with your heart. If you can't, I'll still be here." Shingen stood up and left, and Aiko was left to ponder their conversation.

But she didn't have the luxury to while away the rest of the night like this. A few hours after Shingen left, she snuck out of her room, despite having formed only half a plan. She headed down to the stables. The boy there looked at her, and immediately assumed a defensive stance. "What would a hostage want here?"

"I need a horse. The fastest one in the stables," she said, pulling out the pouch. She grabbed a handful of coins and let them slip through her fingers and fall back into the pouch, smiling as he gulped.

Minutes later, on the back of a horse, she was saying a quiet word of thanks to Mitsuhide for having given her riding lessons.

The alarm rang, and she took off down the castle grounds. Guards stood in her path, but she took control of the situation, urging her steed onwards with faked confidence. The horse jumped past them, running as fast as its legs would carry it.

"Aiko!"

It was Shingen, running towards her from the castle. His expression was a mix of alarm and interest. Aiko waved a hand in farewell as she took off down the streets of Kasugayama.

She belatedly realized she didn't know the way to Azuchi, and just focused on putting distance between her and her pursuers. Hopping off her horse, she led it behind an inn, and they hid in the shadows as the guards passed them. She relaxed, until someone covered her mouth from behind. She looked up in fear that turned to relief as golden eyes stared into hers.

"Well done, little mouse."

She smiled, and taking over the horse, he rode with Aiko sitting side-saddle in front of him. They began their trek back to Azuchi castle.

"You didn't even know the way back, did you?"

"Nope," said Aiko sheepishly. "I was just focused on putting some distance between us."

"Next time, at least make sure you know the general direction of where you're going."

She nodded, and Mitsuhide's arm snaked around her waist, securing her onto the horse. She leaned back against him. "Thanks for the letter and the gold."

"Who did you give it to? The stable boy?"

She nodded. "They don't pay him enough." Mitsuhide laughed, and she felt his chest shake. "Shingen kept calling you a traitor."

"Do you believe him?"

"No," said Aiko immediately. "I mean, you probably are in cahoots with Kennyo—"

"Cahoots?"

"Um, acquaintanced with."

"Is this some future dialect you've been speaking all this time?"

Aiko coughed, a blush spreading across her face. "Anyway, as I was saying, you probably are meeting with Kennyo's subordinates, but you're not working with them."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Cause seeing as Kennyo's already attempted to kill your lord twice, if you were on his side, Nobunaga would be dead. Nobunaga trusts you after all."

"You're really—" Aiko looked up, and Mitsuhide kissed her. She didn't pull back, but instead pulled his hakama, returning his affection. "—the only person who would trust me so blindly."

"It's not so blind. I've thought it through, after all."

He placed a kiss on her head, and she snuggled closer to him, the wind the only witness to their quiet love.

************************************