Chapter 20

You join the rest of the group, as you line them up near the cable: D.J, John, Rowan, Steve, then Bucky last.

     You walk over to where D.J, John, and Rowan are adjusting their harnesses. "Look, I know I've only know you guys since yesterday, but it was nice meeting you."

     Rowan smiles. "It was nice meeting you too, kid. Hey, sorry again for what happened that first encounter."

     You laugh, shaking your head. "Don't worry about it. Just promise me you'll take care of these idiots?" You gesture back at Bucky and Steve, and John laughs.

     "Will do. Thanks for all your help."

     You smile, before moving over to Steve. He smiles softly. "So, I guess this rescue adventure was short-lived."

     You laugh. "Seems like it. Thanks for not killing me at the Hydra base."

     He shakes his head. "Believe me, I'm glad I didn't. It's been really nice getting to know you, Y/n."

     He laughs as you wrap your arms around him. "Goodbye Steve. Don't let Bucky do anything stupid?"

     Steve grins and mock-salutes. "Yes ma'am!"

     You shake your head, laughing, before going to Bucky. Before you can say a word, Bucky pulls you into a heartbreaking hug. Heartbreaking, because you know this is goodbye.

     "I'm sorry I can't come with you guys." You whisper into his shoulder.

     "It's ok, doll, we'll be alright." He whispers back, gently running a hand through your hair.

     You sigh as you let go. "I know, it's just-" You shake your head. "God, I wish I could."

     Bucky smiles softly, placing a gentle thumb under your chin. "I promise you, Y/n, I'll be back, and I'll get you out of there. I swear on my life."

     You smile, your face inches from his. "I think the only good thing Pierce's ever done was stick me to interrogating you."

     Bucky laughs softly. The train whistles again in the distance, and you both look towards the cliff, then back at each other.

     Bucky tips your chin up gently, and your lips meet his. Softly, at first, then with a bit more confidence. D.J, John, Steve, and Rowan all look elsewhere, admiring the snowy scenery.

     After a long moment, the two of you break apart, smiling. "Thank you." Bucky whispers, and you kiss him on the cheek.

     The train sounds again, and your eyes widen. "Guys, you have to go!" You signal off D.J first, John, then Rowan quickly after. Once they're going, Steve takes off, nodding one last thank you.

     Then, Bucky. As he takes off, he smiles at you one last time. "I promise, darling. I'll save you."

     You smile, tears streaming down your face as you watch the 5 boys disappear onto the train. You know they'll be safe. Still, you can't help worrying.

     Bucky's words still echo in your mind. I'll get you put of there. I swear on my life.

     I'll save you

A.N!

This is the last chapter of Hydra Agent, but there will be an epilogue following this chapter, and a sequel titled 'Promises'. I'll update the story description if that title changes.

Thank you so much for reading!