Prologue ~ Dive Into the Abyss

Isaac, his little sister Magdalene, and their mother lived together in a small house on a hill.

Isaac usually kept to himself, drawing and playing with his toys. Sometimes Magdalene would bring her dolls over to Isaac's toys and they'd play together while their mom watched Christian broadcasts on the television.

Life was simple, and they were all happy. That was until the day Isaac's mom heard a voice from above.

"Your son has become corrupted by sin. He needs to be saved."

"I will do my best to save him, my lord." Isaac's mother replied, rushing into Isaac's room, removing all that was evil from his life. She took all his toys and drawings and locked them in a chest in the basement.

Over the next few days Isaac would ask, "I don't understand what I could have done wrong. Is it because I killed Guppy...? Did I do something dad did...? Mom, please, whatever it is God wants me to do I'll do it! I want to be able to fix myself!"

His mother wouldn't answer, she was simply following the orders of her lord.

Magdalene began to worry if God would see something wrong with her next. So she always tried to act on her most best behavior and prayed for her brother every night. She heard about what happened to Guppy, the house's cat.

Before Magdalene was born, Isaac was one day playing a game with Guppy and put him in his toy box and shut it.

Isaac, being so young at the time, hadn't realized that Guppy began to suffocate in the box and died. He felt so guilty about what had happened. Guppy was his best friend and would always make him feel safe at night.

After almost a week, the voice called to Isaac's mother again.

"Isaac's soul is still corrupt. He needs to be cut off from all that is evil in this world and confess his sins."

"I will follow your instructions, lord. I have faith in thee." Isaac's mother replied as she locked Isaac in his room, away from the evils of the world.

Magdalene cried and cried at the foot of the door, her anxiety completely consuming her. Through her sobs, Isaac could hear past the door his mother dragging Magdalene away saying, "Shhh, it will be ok. But I don't want you to try and talk to him or you'll be corrupted too." Which only made her weep harder.

Hours went by, and as the sun fell and darkness covered the sky, Magdalene and Isaac were already asleep in their beds, however their mother still lie awake, waiting for another message from her god.

As the clock struck midnight, one last time their mom heard the voice of God calling to her.

"You've done as I've asked. But I still question your devotion to me. To prove your faith, I will ask one more thing of you."

"Yes, lord! Anything!" She begged.

"To prove your love and devotion I require a sacrifice... your son Isaac, will be the sacrifice. Go into his room and end his life as an offering to me to prove you love me above all else!"

"Yes, lord." She replied without a second thought, storming into the kitchen grabbing a butcher's knife. The noise of her in the kitchen waking both the children.

She sped walk down the hallway as Magdalene opened her door.

"M-Mommy, what's going on?" Magdalene asked timidly. Her mother stopped walking and tilted her head back at her. "I'm sorry Maggy, but it has to be this way." Magdalene finally noticed the knife in her hand and gasped.

"N-No... Don't hurt him! Don't hurt him! Please!" She repeated clinging to her mother's side. "Don't intervene with the lord's work, ok sweetheart?" She said, gently shoving Magdalene away. They stared at each other for a moment, her mother's eyes dead as a puppet's before Magdalene bolted down the hallway towards the basement door to try and hide.

Isaac, watching through a crack in his door, trembled in fear. Scrambling around his room to find a hiding place he noticed a trapdoor to the basement hidden under his rug.

Without hesitation he flung open the hatch to a surprisingly endless void, just as his mother burst through his door and threw himself down... into the unknown depths below.