forty three

the first task

"If you can get me a will to live, then i want that

"If you can get me a will to live, then i want that."

.
warnings: blood, burns, swearing.

When Rose woke up the next morning, her first thought actually wasn't dread. It was slight relief. She still felt sick to her stomach, though. Not even about herself, about Harry. She knew she could take care of herself, she would know what to do in a situation like this. Harry, on the other hand, the poor boy is so clueless it's tragic.

After today, no one would be harassing her and Harry over the first task, and the dragons. Well, at least, if they survive. Though, unfortunately they'd still be giving them a hard time over the second and third task. Especially if they lose.

As they would walk down the corridor, they would be shouted at. "We'll have a box of tissues ready!" or, "Hope your casket is pretty, Potter/Black!"

Which is usually followed by Rose turning around and yelling, "Fuck you!"

Time was behaving in a more peculiar fashion than ever, rushing past in great dollops, so that one moment she seemed to be sitting in her first lesson, and the next, walking to lunch.. and then... (where had the morning gone? the last of the dragon-free hours?), Professor McGonagall was hurrying over to her and Harry in the Great Hall. Lot's of people were watching.

"The champions have to come down onto the grounds now... You have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," said Harry, standing up.

"Oh lord," Rose dropped her fork and held her face in her hands.

"It's okay Rose, you'll be fine!" Hermione whispered encouragingly.

Rose lifted her head up and looked at Hermione with dread. Then she sighed and stood up from the bench, walking behind McGonagall and Harry.

Before they left the Great Hall, Rose turned her head slightly to see Daphne, Blaise, and Theo all standing up from their table, giving encouraging thumbs up and blowing her kisses.

For the first time in a little while, it made Rose crack a small smile. She then shifted her eyes, where the smile fell. She locked eyes with Draco Malfoy.

His eyes, for once, shown worry. He nodded his head once to indicate a good luck, but she just started at him for a moment. Before hurrying on with Harry and McGonagall.

Draco sighed and looked down at the table.

Rose and Harry left the Great Hall with Professer McGonagall. She didn't seem herself either; in fact, she looked nearly as anxious as Hermione. As she walked them down the stone steps and out into the cold November afternoon, she put her hands on their shoulders. "Now, don't panic," she said, "just keep a cool head.... we've got wizards standing by to control the situation if it gets out of hand.... The main thing is just to do your best, and nobody will think any worse of you... Are you all right?"