Chapter 4: Lift the Knife

"Lift the Knife by Arthur Vaso... See the darkness that surrounds us, you are safe from all your crimes. Lift your knife, oh, and take your sweet little time, my sweet," He pauses and inhales. "Stab me, stab me, blood flows, are we free? Stab me, stab me, blood glows, are we free? Dance around my dead ghosted white body, life was no better to me you see," My eyes widened in shock with how the poem was going. It sounds so sorrowful, I wasn't quite sure how this would help anybody calm down and feel better. But, I still went along with it and continued to let him speak.

"See the knife, as I look into your eyes. All I see is dead, dead skies... I try to speak of broken promises, you slit my throat for once you tried." He slowly looks down to the ground, as if something made him sad. Was the poem reminding him of someone that died? Did it remind him of an ex? I was puzzled but felt bad that he still continued speaking the poem.

"Y-You don't have to continue if you don't want t-"

"Stab me, stab me, blood flows, are we free? Stab me, stab me, blood glows, are we free? Dance around my dead ghosted white body, life was no better to me you see!" He spoke a little louder, interrupting me. He lifted his head back up to face me. I immediately stopped talking, though I felt like I was forcing him to say the poem. Alas, I still let him say the poem out loud. "Raindrops of death pour over me, your blank stare my blanket of eternity... My blood flows into your hate, I now am bloodless; we are of but one single fate. Stab me, stab me, blood flows, are we free? Stab me, stab me, blood glows, are we free? Dance around my dead ghosted white body, life was no better to me you see," The poem seemed to have gotten much darker and depressing, I felt bad for him. Why did he pick this one? Wouldn't it make him sad? It didn't sound much like horror to me, but I was very intrigued by the poem nonetheless. "See the happiness you never found? You lost it like my blood lost in the killing grounds. You thought could slay my lovesick heart, I laughed and laughed as you lifted the knife so sharp..." I couldn't help but interrupt again. I began feeling very concerned for him, so I tried reaching my hand out to his shoulder to try and comfort him.

"Stab me, stab me, blood flows, are we free? Stab me, stab me, blood glows, are we free? Dance around my dead ghosted white body, life was no better to me you see!" He swatted my hand away and spoke in a more furious tone, I let out a light gasp and put my hand away. After the poem, I would for sure give him a comforting hug and assure him everything was going to be okay.

"My heart was lost long ago when you stopped loving and bringing the rose... From then on, my heart you see was froze. Exiled to your bondage, I stared at the knife and accepted my fate. The end." We had an awkward silence for a couple of minutes, I was in awe with the whole poem! It felt like I just listened to a whole book in one sitting, it was beautiful. I smiled and began clapping to show my appreciation for the poem and the way this man narrated it. He really brought out the anger and depression in it, it was very touching!

"Wooo! That was so good, I loved the way you narrated it! I love how you really pointed out the emotions in it, it's beautiful!" I happily complimented. He smiled, appreciating my feedback.

"Thank you very much. I have heard from others that my voice is soft and soothing, perfect for a narrator."

"They're right! You fit perfectly for a narrator, that was amazing! High five!" I giggled and raised my hand up for a high five. He paused for a minute and softly giggled, gently giving me a high five back. Oh crap, I didn't realize how much cloudier it was until now! I gotta get home! I gasped and quickly stood up, apologizing for leaving so soon.

"I'm sorry, but I have to leave! I gotta get home, it's getting dark out here! You should probably head home too, and if you'd like, I can walk you home!" He slowly stood up and remained silent for a few minutes, then replied with a very confusing response...

"This is my home. The wilderness and the alleyway, it is my home," I was confused... Is he homeless? If so, it would make me feel even worse for him. "Katrina, dear... Do you still wish to see what I look like?" He asked.