Painted across our Sky

It was easy to forget that this wasn't supposed to be when her hand was in hers. They had escaped faith, denying the ways that the universe pulled them in different directions for moments like these. It seemed cruel, for something to feel so right but doomed to the perception of the public eye.

Summer rain destroyed the streets, the storm from the east offering them the solace of empty roads. Jade held Perrie's jacket close around her while holding her hand tight. They revelled in the quiet solace of love.

Escaping the weather, they turned into a small gallery tucked away from the mainstreet. Fluorescent lighting eloped them, revealing paintings scattered around the room. A small smile made its way onto their faces, momentarily allowing them to forget about the world.

The paintings weren't anything special but odd strokes gave them an underworldly uniqueness. Jade pulled Perrie forward to the middle of the floor, gesturing up to the ceiling where swirls of colour were decorated across.

They didn't know how they got to this moment where for a second, love mattered more. Tonight, they would part to go back to lives curated for them. However it didn't change that they were covered in each other – each hug, sigh and kiss forever imprinted in their memories. The small moments always mattered more.

Jade rested her head on Perrie's shoulder, fighting a frown that would take away from the moment. This wasn't everything that they had but it was what they wanted most.

Was it selfish to run away, to give the world a middle finger and lie down in the happiness they were constantly refused?

Clouds uncovered, allowing the sun to shine through as they embarked on their way home again, the knowledge that love would never be enough sitting heavy on their hearts.