Chapter 10

Minutes passed, painfully slowly.

049 stood by the door as you went towards the back of the room. Maybe reading one of the files would be a little interesting.

You found a file on 049. It wasn't the full file. Just a few interviews and notes. You wondered why they were here and not closer to 049's containment. It seemed... inconvientent. Weird.

You opened it. Transcripts of every interview since when he was first in foundation custody.

You sat there, reading all of it. Some of it was boring, some interesting.

049 always seemed to ensure what he was doing was right and he was the cure for whatever the pestilence was.

For someone so obsessed with it... it doesn't show much. At least not when he's around you.

He might have "cured" someone twice, but both times he still seemed at least a little bit careful about your safety.

Josie came up and nudged you. You looked down at her.

"What's up?"

She jumped up on your lap, angling her head to the file.

"It's just a file on 049. Kind of interesting. Wait, can you even read?"

She stared at you, tilting her head slightly. Almost if questioning why you were reading it.

"I'm just bored. And I don't know much about him."

She glared at you.

"Okay... I guess he doesn't know much about me either."

You closed the file and put it back. "Fine. Whatever."

You stood up and walked over to 049.

"Did they leave?"

"No. I unlocked the door so I suggest you go hide."

"Why would you-?"

049 froze for a second, "Quick! I hear them!"

You were pushed behind boxes as the door opened.

"You really didn't check in here? Are you serious?"

"Oh, shut up."

You were screwed, you so were going to get found. 049 was hiding next to you, probably thinking you might have to surrender. But something interesting happened.

Josie let out a small meow before jumping up onto the boxes. Thankfully not knocking them down.

You heard the guards lower their guns and one give out a small laugh. 

"It's just that a cat."

Suddenly, screaming and crying could be heard from nearby.

"Leave it. Josie will be fine. Let's go."

"The cat has a name?"

"Ignore it."

They ran out of the room as you and 049 let out a sigh of relief. Laughing as Josie hopped back down to you.

"Thanks."

You realized your hand was touching 049's. You yanked it away. Awkward...

He looked at you. "Oh my. Apologies."

"It's fine..."

"We should sit for a few more minutes just to be safe."

"Yeah, you're probably right."