Don't Let Me Go

Chapter 1

June 23 – Wednesday

He kissed me.

Dylan Martin kissed me.

The hottest, most gorgeous guy of the student body kissed me.

This is like the first time in my life that I’ve been driven insane.

It happened in the early afternoon at the park under a massive tree.

I was playing a song with my acoustic guitar under the tree. It was an original composition by my cousin, Elyna Jones.

He just happened to be walking around the park and found me.

“Hey, Kenzie!” he yelled.

He stuffed his hands inside his pockets and flipped his not so long and not so short light brown hair.

God, he’s so adorable.

Oh my God, he’s walking towards me.

He sat next and very close to me.

“Hey yourself’, I smiled back.

“How’s Felice?”

Felice is my younger sister. When Dylan and I used to hang out in my backyard every day, Felice would jump outside of the house and hug Dylan and shout, “Dillie!”

“She’s fine. She’s gonna start pre-K this year.”

“Tell her I said hi?”

“Oh sure.”

“Nice song. Never heard it before, but it’s cool. You made that?” He grabbed the music sheet and tried to analyse it.

 “Nah. My cousin composed this. I’ll tell her you said that.”

“Can you play it again?”

“Sure”

I started pluck the guitar strings and sing like I was in a concert.

In the middle of the song, I noticed that Dylan was looking at me deeply in the eyes.

I stopped in my tracks, laughed, and asked him, “What?”

Then the magic happened.

He kissed me like nobody else kissed me before.

He kissed me like how Prince Phillip kissed Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty.

He kissed me like we’ve kissed a million times already.

I kissed him back.

We kissed for a long time. It felt so good I didn't want to let go of him yet. But sadly, he did.

“Uh, I gotta go, Louise. I’ll just, call you later”, he stood up and waved his hand at me.

I didn’t reply because I was too stunned of what just happened.

“And, uh, one more thing”, he said while pointing his finger in the air.

“I like girls who can sing and play guitar.”

.           .           .           .           .           .           .           .           .           .           .           .           .

“He did what?!” Clarisse Macintosh, my best friend yelled at the end of the phone.

“You don’t need to shout, Reese.”

“No, no, no, no, no. I mean, that’s so cute of him to do that.”

I can tell that she was smiling so hard.

“I know right?” I sighed dreamily.

 “But how can the most popular, hot, gorgeous boy in school kiss you? I still can’t believe it.”

Nobody ever knew that Dylan and I used to be best friends. Tight.

“Believe it or not, Reese. I’m not going to force you to do any of them.”

“I want to believe but I can’t. He just can’t do that to girls like us, you know. We’re like in the B list.”

In our school, some people make a list of how people should be grouped. The A list is the list of the cool and popular people in school. The not-so-cool-but-nearly-there people are in the B list. And the rest go to the C, D and F lists.

“Reese! B list! We’re actually near in getting to the A list, you know? We’re like the 1st and the 2nd people in that list. We’re very near, Reese. Very near.” I said.

“Okay. Fine. I can finally believe you.” She sighed.

I broke the 7 second silence by telling her what happened after “The Kiss”.

“What does he mean, call you later? Like, call me later as in, like now? I mean, later is now, right?” I shifted in my seat.

"Maybe."