False Warmth

"Wil?" Alex chuckled. "You're blushing."

"I-I am? Oh—god i'm sorry i'm—" Alex grabbed my hand.

"It's okay! Don't worry about it," He giggled. "I understand how you're feeling."

...What?

He...understands? Does he feel the same way i do?

I eyed him skeptically. "Elaborate?"

"Yeah of course!" I braced myself for what was about to be said. I-I guess maybe he...likes me too...? Holy shit! He lov—

"It's not everyday your favorite streamer takes you out for coffee and gives you their sweater. You're a fan! Of course you're excited to meet a big streamer like me."

Oh.

Oh.

He thought I was...fan-girling?

"What the fuck?" I hissed. "You—what the hell dude?"

Alex stumbled back. "Wh—what? Did I say something wrong?"

I rolled my eyes. "You just assumed I was fan-girling for you. That the only reason i'm excited is because I got to meet some 'big streamer."

"Is that not what's happening right now?"  He asked, sounding genuine.

"No! Well—yes! But—" I took a second to gather my words. "Obviously it's more than that! I'm not just one of your little fans, Alex! I'm a person behind all those gifted subs," I snapped.

"I don't know what you're getting at, William." Alex spoke.

My mouth gaped.

"Isn't it obvious?! I'm in...!"

Alex stared at me with wide eyes.

My throat began to burn. Fuck.

"Nevermind. Nevermind! I—I have to go." I slid off his jacket and handed it to him.

"William i'm...sorry..—" I raised a hand to cut him off.

"Don't even. I'm just some fan with hopes that are too high."

Alex nodded sadly in defeat, and handed me my coffee he had been holding. I began to walk towards the bus stop, and managed to catch a peek of him out of the corner of my eye.

He stood still in the middle of the sidewalk, fidgeting with his hands.

Maybe I went overboard. In the end, I really am a fan with unreasonable hope.

Just as I was about to take a sip of my coffee, I noticed some markings on it in blue ink.

"xxx-xxx-xxxx — call me? :]"

...Maybe I had the right to some hope still...