Untitled Part 1

Ron Dascolos uncomfortably adjusted his necktie. Normally, he wouldn't wear one and It was too tight. Loosening to comfort meant off, there were no inbetweens. He found this ironic; given he sat here as a result of others intolerance. Summoned to an adhoc meeting with the school board, they were to address a parent complaint. Knowing where this was going, he loathed the ensuing discussion.

Idle, nervous chatter hummed the room. Mark Streck sat to Ron's left, providing union representation and passive moral support. He and Ron knew each other, but Mark taught Social Studies in the high school. Mark had been a middle school teacher like Ron some time ago.

Clayton was a small, suburb district of a mid-western city. The community was funded directly and indirectly by the mortgage/credit industry. Ron wouldn't call the town conservative, because it was the norm for that region of the United States. He was amongst the infidels; those who dared question institutions like God, Guns and Old Glory. Uncomfortably labeled an infidel, he openly supported evolution and quietly endorsed things like gay marriage. The school board held a narrow view of "his kind," but he had been tenured and was in good standing.

Ron was certain that Jacob Fromm's parents were looking for a fight; a crusade. He had met the father once, but today it would only be Claire Fromm engaging in battle for God, country and freedom. Passively, Richard "Rick" Fromm was sending a signal that Ron Dascolos was below his bother. The wife would do fine job of chewing up and spitting out the infidel.

Donald Pierce had been the school board's chair for nearly twenty years. He was beyond reproach and went perennially unchallenged in elections. He was a pillar of the community. Today, only three of the five would attend, thus meeting the standard of a legal quorum. Reese Chandler couldn't give a shit about the community's piety or intolerance. He owned a private investment firm, catered to the locals and provided concierge invstment services. His true focus was his son, Reese Jr. and his "rocket" of an arm, making the boy the school district's darling shot at the NFL or Major League Baseball. Lastly and to Ron's relief, sat Caroline Twist. Caroline was young, attractive and had political aspirations. She was well versed on education law, networking and most of all, "open minded." The last meaning she could be sympathetic and voice of reason when the local piety got wound up. She liked to refer to herself as a "concensus builder." Everpresent in the local media, she regularly mugged for school board activities, community chest, churches and PTA. Pretty, young, smart, affable....All that and a bag of chips. Nonetheless, she was the best shot he had. Ron didn't think he would be fired, but he didn't know how sideways things might go.

"Well, let's get started," Pierce announced, then added. "I see Mrs. Fromm is not her yet, but we can take care of a few things." Clearing his throat, "Could we all stand."

The group stood, turned to the flag, placed a hand to chest and recited the pledge of allegiance. Ron caught Pierce's scowl when Ron refrained from the words, "Under God."

They audibly acounted for all present and their role. Pierce was stalling, but his pace picked up as they heard Claire Fromm let in by an administrative assistant. Claire gave a polite smile and thank you to the young lady admitting her. Caroline was well-versed with Claire. This was not a new thing with Claire and likely her latest crusade against the infidels. Secretely, Caroline took great pleasure in calling her "Squeaky Fromm," given the Charles Manson reference and Claire's tendency to be the squeaky wheel seeking grease.

"She might do good to get some lubricant from her old man and maybe she'd lighten up a bit," Caroline thought to herself, it well circulated that Rick Fromm lubricated many women.

"Good day all. Mr. Dascolos," she added, noding to him and asserting herself. Ron simply nodded in recognition.

"Claire, think you can best explain why we are all here today. Please..." Pierce gestured with a hand.