XXI | to realize

The winds rustled against the leaves and the cold yet warm breeze grazed her skin

The winds rustled against the leaves and the cold yet warm breeze grazed her skin. It blew on her face, refreshing her melancholic state and trying to put herself away from the shambles of her life at the moment.

The empty park gave her the space she needed, secluding her world to just herself, being able to breathe for herself, and finding a way to fix this all, by herself. If only her mess of a father could magically appear and fix the mess he started, none of this would ever happen. This infliction of pain and suffering was never her choice, but it was put onto her for Heaven knows why.

"Did you sleep well?" she heard Michael's voice out of nowhere and thought that she was hallucinating. But when she turned to her right, he was indeed there, sitting underneath the tree. Kind of awkward, considering how the circumstances of their conversation had ended last night.

"Uh-of course," she lied, knowing that she hardly slept a wink last night. "Where'd you go off?"

"I just strolled around, getting some fresh air," he replied while looking around the beauty of the park, but his mind is really still on the bizarre phone call. "And I happen to stop by Q's before dawn breaks," he continued.

"Really? He's already open at that hour?"

"More like he still hasn't left the shop," he said as he also rested his against the tree trunk.

"Let me guess, making songs?" she assumed which was right. Michael looked at her side as the things Quincy had said reflected on him. As he looked at her, everything played in his head sequentially and leading up to this moment, seeing how tired she is— not just physically, but as if he could see through her and felt nothing but pain and sorrow.

"You know, he's a passionate guy when it comes to doing what he loves," he spoke from experience, seeing him staying at the studio during late hours.

"He and Beatrice are the most hardworking people I know," she said as she brought her knees closer to her chest.

"Q and Beatrice?" he questioned, slightly bewildered by the pairing.

"I think I left that information out," she chuckled. "Q and Beatrice are married. They've acted as our parents since..." she stopped in the middle of her sentence, concealing the faults of her pasts he doesn't need to know. "...then," she exhaled largely and smiled.

Michael noticed because he already knows enough to understand why she acted as such. Her eyes wandering around, the grip she has on her knees, and the heavy breath she exhaled all explains her hesitation, but he couldn't blame her nor push her to unravel her past in one sitting.

"I thought Beatrice was single..." he replied. "I would've dated her," she gasped in shock and Michael earned a slap on the shoulder. He mockingly opened his mouth and pretended to be hurt, just so he could see her gorgeous smile.

"What?" he said as he rubbed his shoulders jestly. Celestine somehow managed to smile, the corners of her lips meeting her cheeks and her pearly whites in full display. That made Michael somewhat at ease, as she got comfortable in his presence again. However, when their eyes met, the connection was impalpable even a kid could decipher it instantly. But the barrier she puts in front of her makes it difficult even for Michael to cross.