Chapter 3

''JESUS, how long has this thing been sitting here for?'' A man with a large-tipped hat, chipped front teeth, and a blemished prone face, inquired with fascination

''JESUS, how long has this thing been sitting here for?'' A man with a large-tipped hat, chipped front teeth, and a blemished prone face, inquired with fascination. Currently in the process of standing on a creaky stepping stool, trying to yank the damned piece of rope from the roof. It wouldn't budge, and he had used multiple tools on it now.

''I have no idea,'' Meg's mom chimed in from the landlords side. He was to her left, Meglee being to her right. ''We just moved in a couple of weeks ago.''

''Couldn't have been here that long, otherwise the rope would've been more worn down, and the Nylon fibers that the rope's made of would've begin to break down.'' The man explained, poking at it with a pair of large pliers. ''This thing's stuck.''

The landlord -- Phil, or Jack, or something like that, released more contaminants into the air, as he took another drag from his Tobacco pipe. ''Well, if it makes you feel any better, it can't be that old in age, just a couple years at most. It belonged to the last family who lived here, the dad I think worked with tools like that. His son snatched it out the garage, took it, and hung himself. with it.''

Meg took a sharp intake of breath at the reminder, one that was enough to alert her mother of her wariness of his words.

She smiled warily, ''Meg, I think we can get the job done with just us three, you can head off to school.''

''You sure?''

She nodded in response, igniting a sweet kiss on her right cheek from her daughter. ''Love you, see you later.''

''Have fun!'' She could hear her mother call after her, though she didn't respond.

The air was nippier on this side of the forest, orange Autumn leaves fell from stray branches, and wind kicked up raked leaf-piles, swirling it through the air in a rhythmic dance.

''Morning.'' She mumbled as she passed the stone engravings that stuck out of dirt. She had never seen the Gardner's names on any of them although they had died, she wondered why, but was afraid the answer would keep her up at night, as did the revelation of the Gardner's son's death... or suicide.

Not to mention the fact she had slept perfectly fine at her old house, and now was beginning to show signs of Insomnia. Last night, however, had been her first official rest in however many weeks she had been staying there at the house, and it had consisted of horrific nightmares of her being strangled to death, and waking up clutching her own neck breathing heavily.

Just thinking of it now had her heart thumping heavily against the palm of her fingers, she told it to calm down. It was fine. Everything was fine. It was common to have nightmares, especially in the event of a frightful revelation.

The Gardner's son had killed himself in her room, using the same rope that brushed over her every night, being the same rope behind her chilling dreams, or nightmares.

Luckily, her school began to come into view just as she began filling weary. Hallmark prep was as busy and crowded as it always been. Students littered the hallways, some chatting to each other in low voices laughing quietly, whilst, the others without a care for human decency broke into jeers, laughing loudly and boisterously, until teachers told them to lower their voices.

Kate, Nick, Tony, and Sanya were apart of that group. Jordan nowhere to be seen. She was hesitant to approach them, sure she had been introduced to them a couple of weeks prior, but that didn't mean they had accepted her into their group.

Sanya was the first to openly spot her, gesturing her over. ''Hey, Ghost-girl! Over here!''

Meg frowned at the nickname, but somehow managed to slip on a cordial smile as she diffidently made her way over, and her presence known. ''Ghost-girl?'' She probed, confusedly.

It was Tony who answered her, brushing his hands through the highlighted-hair that had fallen out of place, ''Yeah, that's what everyone's calling you now since you moved into the Murder-House.''

Gee, her last school she was known as the weirdo for claiming she could see monsters one morning in first grade, and the nickname followed her all throughout high-school, and now she was known as 'Ghost-girl' simply because she and her mother had moved into a house where an alleged murder and suicide took place.

Jesus, high-school sucked.

''Say, Ghost-girl, you got a boyfriend?'' Nick, with the male version of Sanya's symmetrical face, insanely pretty eyes, full-lips, and an unsettling amount of hair gel, asked her. Eyes lit up in interest.

''Boyfriend? No boyfriend, I'm single.'' She answered honestly, unaware of the fact he had moved closer to her, and his hand now rested at the crook above her waist.

Jordan decided to make his entrance then, calling him out on it, merely pointing out the fact she was a sophomore and he was a senior for the second year, Nick huffed in response, and Kate pulled her away from him with a glare, saying, ''Not my new bestie, she's off-limits.''

In which Tony replied, ''Her nicknames 'Ghost-girl' and she lives in the Murder-house, he probably wanted to test out if she's a freak in the sheets.''

The boys -- minus Jordan, laughed at that, while the girls scowled at their rude words and slapped them for it.

That didn't stop them from cackling loudly though.

And it definitely didn't stop Meglee from feeling woozy, as a new wave of dizziness hit her. She couldn't shake out the grotesque image of a figure dangling from the rope in her room. A crack signifying a neck had been broken, and an encore of blood. Much like the dream she had experienced the night prior, the only difference being she wasn't the one choking.

And she could've sworn she saw something, a figure, a male, right before her vision went black and her head hit the floor with a loud bang!