Reminiscence

This is the first story I've decided to publish into the public, so have fun reading!

I woke up in a closet. I don't remember anything at the moment, I don't even know how or why I'm in a closet. My eyes adjust to the dark and I see some light from the little window on the door. The smell is weird here, almost wet and soapy. Turns out I'm in the janitor's closet, and it looks like nothing has been used here in a while. But that's normal since the school janitors don't really clean the upper floor with the tools in here, which is weird because it's more efficient to get stuff from this closet instead of the closet on another floor. Wait, why am I thinking about this? I'm not supposed to be here! I panic thinking the door is locked, so I slowly turn the handle; it's unlocked, so school must still be going. I open the door and peek my head out, and there's no one, anywhere, it's completely dark, no lights.

I walk outside carefully, and everything has just lost its color. This school is known for being very colorful too. A nice maroon with green on the walls almost everywhere, but now that's just gone. So this is weird. This is also the highest floor, floor 3; I can see that because of the big windows in front of me with the moon shining on the top.. I can see the roof, and it's dark? I must've slept in that closet for a very long time! I panic again and look around for anyone that might be around, but it's completely silent. So nobody's around, it's dark and colorless, more faded than a sticker in the sun 24/7. And something feels off about it all. I start walking to the stairs to see if I can leave, but as I walk around the corner, the hallway is filled with garbage. And some of it's on fire. My gut wrenches a bit because our school does not look like an alley behind a building.

Something is incredibly off and weird about all this, no one around, the hallway is as vandalized as an inner city train car. I don't want to go down there so I go straight for the stairs, only to see it covered by a bunch of junk, which would make it impossible to traverse. So going down these stairs is not an option, I look down the other hallway, do I really wanna go through there? I guess I'll go down the garbage hallway. I start walking down it slowly, I check the doors, all of them are locked. The hallway is a little long, but I'm heading over to the other side of the hallway to go to the next floor down, and I see stairs to my left at the end of the hallway, and they're not blocked. I get kind of nervous, what's down this floor if there's a garbage hallway, and who knows what's on the side of the building that I didn't want to explore. I hesitantly go down the stairs, I go down the first part and turn around to see a cafeteria. Immediately, it all feels off, a cafeteria right next to the stairs, the school is not shaped like that on this floor. So now I feel lost, because I don't know where the next set of stairs is. I go down the last set of stairs and see school supplies on the floor, like pencils, pens, backpacks, and clothes? Some of it is placed in chairs and some of it is on the floor. I pick some of the clothes up, and it's wet, on certain spots, I can't see what liquid it is, but that ain't right. I drop the clothes and continue walking, but I trip a bit and bump my knee into a table, making a loud rattle that echoes through the empty school. My heartbeat spikes up at that moment. What if someone's here? And just like that, someone is walking from the hallway in front of me. I hide under the table and just stare as it stands there, not moving. It walks very robot-like, and it droops like a zombie too, a weird mix. I can't tell if I'm staring at a face or the back of its head, because the entire body is a silhouette, nothing is visible on it. Then I see it, it turns its head around and I nearly squeak. His face isn't human, the eyes... look like a waxing crescent moon, the mouth... also has a waxing crescent moon shape to it. The face glows white and somewhat bright.