Chapter 1

I stood facing the suitcase that stretched across my bed. It was the largest suitcase I've ever seen and everything that I could fit was smashed in. I looked around my room lightly brushing my desk and all the knick knacks I couldn't bring. My mom told me not to worry, that she'd send money for me to buy some new things. But I didn't want new things.

I set down the picture of me and Lily on the top of my clothes, taking a deep breath as someone lightly tapped on my door. "Hey" she said holding a tiny stuffed animal.

"Mom" I whined. She grinned her eyes puffy and watery. "I know you're too old but you're my baby no matter how far away you'll be" She chocked at that moving her hands to cover her face.

"Don't"! I laughed running to throw my arms around her. She shook her head, "I know, I know and you're going to do so amazing there. Our baby.... scholarship!" She said holding both sides of my face. "I'm going to go help your Dad with dinner in the meantime you find a place for him". She smiled so proudly it broke my heart as she dropped the fluffy white bunny in my hand.

I clutched to my childhood toy biting my lip falling back onto my bed. How was I supposed to tell them I didn't want to go. How was I supposed to disappoint them and tell them the scholarship they were rejoicing over I didn't want it. That they couldn't and would never afford the offer I got. The endless bragging and long distance calls to relatives about their talented daughter that might make something of this poor family, of this poor town.

Don't get me wrong I am more than grateful for the scholarship. The school offers better classes then the school I attend could even dream of. Don't forget the Colleges that will flock to this program. I cant help wishing the school was in this State, in this Country even.

I picked up the paper with the school printed on the front, Kings Boarding School. A school? more like a castle. A castle with its huge lawn and willow trees and cathedral. I groaned, I wasn't religious but I'd be attending mass every Sunday there.

But besides my family and other friends, Lily would be the hardest to leave. School together since kindergarten and here I was leaving her traveling what feels across the galaxy.

"Dylan door!" My mom yelled as the door bell sounded through the house along with dogs barking.

"Chewy"! I yelled shushing the golden retriever, "it's just Lily boy".

I opened the door and we got tangled in a hug with my massive curls and my dog trying to get in between us.

"I'm so glad you're here" I said squeezing her so hard her crystal blue eyes would pop out.

"I was just down by the beach talking to Dan, he's not too happy" she grimaced.

I didn't want to think about Dan, I couldn't be sad, not for my parents.

She pulled her nearly black hair back into a bun before squatting to tackle Chewy in a hug.

Lily has been my best friend since the third grade and I knew she resented me for leaving. But she also was the one to tell me to go.

"I'm going to miss the beach" I said biting my lip. Thinking of our favorite hangout spot just a block down from where I lived.

"God Lily what am I going to do in freezing ass England!" I said throwing my hands in my face.

Lily laughed, "yah you'll come back for Christmas all white and pasty."

I nodded smiling tracing my sun kissed skin dotted with freckles. God I wish she hadn't brought up Dan and the beach.

"So can I have your bikinis, or"? She grinned making me push her.

"Girls dinner!"

We sat at the table my two little brothers across from me and Lily next to me. My mom sitting at the head of the table, "your father wanted to cook". She said raising her eyebrows as my Dad slide in with a tray in his hands.