Chapter 2: Kristopher

RIAN'S POV

“You’re okay. You’re okay, you’re perfectly fine. Everything’s okay.” Jules was hugging me, murmuring calming words into my ear as we sat there on the floor of the bank lobby. I felt… fine. I did a mental check on myself; no wounds, injuries or other outstanding problems. I must’ve been in shock because I couldn’t get my body to do anything. Eventually Jules pulled away, holding my face and looking at me intently.

“Rian?”

I wanted to respond but I couldn’t hear her, I couldn’t get enough air. My lings couldn’t expand enough to get me the oxygen my brain craved.

“Rian?” someone was calling my name, but I was already far away, remembering things I’d rather forget as I fainted on the floor of the bank.

I paced in front of the whiteboard surveying the faces of my class, trying to find the guilty parties who didn’t do the reading last night. "So, who can tell me the difference between the Kings of Rome and the Roman Emperors? Hmmm.” My gaze landed on a blonde in the second row who was avoiding looking at me,  “Mike? Why don’t you tell us?"

"Well-"

"Excuse me," a voice said from the doorway, "Miss Rian Azarov?" Two policemen stood in the doorway watching me with wary eyes.

"Yes?"

"We need you to come with us."

"I'm sorry but I don't have a sub for my-"

"Actually you do Rian." I looked over the policemen's shoulder to see the Principal, Chandler Murray, and one of the building subs.

"Um, okay. Boys. I expect the chapter to be fully read by tomorrow's class." I shot them a look as I walked over to my desk.

"Yes Miss. A." They chorused

I grabbed my briefcase and folders from my desk, walking behind the two policemen. Before we left school grounds the Principal, gave me a comforting pat on the arm. I looked at him but before I could ask him what was wrong, he was already walking away.

One of the officers opened the back door for me

“We’re sorry about the back miss.”

“It’s no problem Officer,” I said, sliding into the back. I stared out the window as we pulled out of the school’s parking lot and started down the 4 mile driveway. We were almost to the highway when I gave in; I couldn’t stand not knowing anymore.

"Officer?"

"Ma'am?"

"Can you please tell me what's going on?"

"We have some bad news Miss. Your brother..."

"What happened? I didn't know he was on duty? Did he get shot? Is he okay."

"Ma'am, I'm very sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but your brother was a victim of a hit and run today."

I sank back into the seat, Kris? Hit and Run?

“Is this a practical joke? ‘Cause it’s not funny.”

“It’s no joke ma’am. Today at 1:35 there was a call to the local station about a hit and run incident. Your brother’s car had been hit by someone running a red light. There was no sign of the other car, but we have a few witnesses, and we are going through traffic cameras now.”

“So you’ll find him?” I felt numb, all I wanted to do was kill the sonofabitch who had hurt my older brother.

“He, or she, injured a cop,” the officer replied, his eyes meeting mine in the rearview mirror. “We’ll find them.”