7: First Love

The two grew up more attached to each other as the years passed by. Yibo remained to be Zhan's little Prince whilst Zhan meant the world for Yibo.

There couldn't be anything worse than separation for the latter.

So, when Zhan was on his last year in high school and about to move out for University, Yibo was the most to be affected.

He had been more clingy than before. He even moved in Zhan's room permanently, snuggle at bedtime whenever he could, eat lunch with his Gege without miss, and even hang around Zhan's group of friends despite the 4 to 5 years age gap between them. At home, he is Zhan's shadow who follows the elder everywhere Zhan goes. Mrs. Wei and Feng just laugh at the two. "The Mother and his Duckling." The two branded the younger ones.

This was brotherhood almost all believe except Yibo's own best friend, Seungyoun, who understands Yibo's psyche more than Yibo, himself. He had seen this type of obsession before from his older brother and his lover. Brotherhood as a start but love that blooms after a while. The ignorance at first, the awkwardness and lack of confidence which will surely follow, the doubts and fears which will start to form cracks, until one will dare cross the bridge and confess. This could either lead to heartbreak or bliss.

Seungyoun mused for months and years whether to point out the obvious to his oblivious best friend. 'If Yibo missed his chance now, would he still have the chance in the future?' He got his answer to this long self-talk when him and Yibo saw a girl kissing Zhan under the cherry blossom tree one afternoon.

It was just a peck on the cheek. Shorter than a second. But the impact to Yibo was crystal clear.

His whole body trembled uncontrolled. His mind wandered far off unable to accept what he had seen. He has questions and he has answers which were difficult to accept.

Yibo fled the scene and Seungyoun tried to catch up to him.

Yibo felt his chest hurts and his lungs burn. Inside the glasshouse, his knees finally surrendered and he dropped down kneeling on the rough ground.

"Yibo!" Seungyoun called to him and Yibo answered with painful sobs he couldn't understand where it was coming from. Where the ache roots from? Where the magnitude of grief stems from? Yibo grabbed his shirt above his heart, hoping the tight sensation on his chest lessens but it didn't.

Seungyoun trapped him in his embrace and pat his friend's back soothingly. "That is love, my friend. The jealousy and the pain of first love."

---------

A/N:

I made the kiss subtle.
It was originally a full mouth kiss and then I changed it to Zhan kissing the girl on the cheeks. But I settled for the girl kissing him instead. (I don't want too much hate from you guys!) 🤣🤣🤣
Anyway, the effect will still be the same for our little Prince.
Will the next chapter be sad?

23-Apr-'22