A Closer Look

The next week flies by. Teachers are giving their last few projects and tests to prepare for break and no one is paying any attention. Professor Dovey has caught people zoned out multiple times already. Sophie keeps occupied by planning her party and, unfortunately for Agatha, has lots to say about it on their walks to school. According to Sophie, it's supposed to be nice but casual. Agatha has no idea what she means, but Sophie is determined to dress her up, so she doesn't really need to. Sophie already has most of the decorations and the food has been ordered, so all Agatha has to do is listen, although even that proves to be quite difficult.

When Friday arrives, she can't focus on anything. She eats her lunch in silence while Hester and Dot argue about whether or not they should coordinate their outfits for the party. Hester is absolutely against the idea, but Agatha can see her budging. Anadil's expression is blank, but there's a slight glint of amusement in her eyes.

Agatha is shocked out of her daze when Dot tries to include her in the conversation.

"Agatha, what do you think we should do?"

"What? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

"Do you think we should match for the party?"

She glances over at Hester, who is glaring at her and subtly shaking her head. She turns back to Dot.

"Sure, I don't see why not. I already promised Sophie she could pick out my outfit, but I'm sure you three will have fun dressing up together."

Hester's glare intensifies, and Dot looks curious.

"Why would you promise Sophie that? She's gonna put you in something pink."

"Don't worry, she said no pink. Or frills. Or ruffles. I made her promise."

Hester raises her eyebrow, still looking quite unhappy with Agatha.

"Those are the only things she knows. What else does she have?"

Agatha shrugs, wondering that herself.

"I don't know. I guess we'll see at the party. I know I'm excited to see what you'll be wearing," she says, poking Hester in the arm.

"I hate you."

"Aww, how sweet."

"Go away."

"Soon, lunch is almost over anyway." She looks up at the clock on the wall. Five minutes to get to class. "See, now I'll go, but only because I have to, not because of you."

"Bye," says Dot, waving her hand. Agatha waves back and walks to class. Only three hours until she has to go to the piano room.

---

When she arrives, Tedros isn't there. He must be running late. Agatha takes a few moments to look around the room. She really does love it here. It's peaceful and quiet, and she can just relax. She runs her hands over the keys to the piano, soaking in the perfect silence. She glances back at the door, and seeing no one there, goes to close it. If Tedros is running late, then she can use the time to practice herself.

There's some music already on the stand, and she can see that she doesn't recognize it. It doesn't look too difficult, and she should probably practice her sight reading anyway. Might as well try to play it.

She sits down at the bench and rests her hands on the keys. The single light in the room shines down on her, illuminating her in stark contrast to the rest of the room. She is alone with only the piano, in her own world of music.

As soon as Agatha starts playing, she can feel the song flow out of her. Her hand's fly over the keys, letting the music take control of them. When she's playing, she doesn't have to think about anything else. She can let her thoughts fade away until the only thing left is the beautiful melody resonating around the room. Her breathing keeps the beat, calming her mind.