Chapter 9

Irene stared at the close-mouthed Alex.

"Your friend sucks." Irene complained.

She knew that with Lilian alone, getting the role of Maggie was a hard pass. But what was with that attitude? Brat.

Alex just shrugged his shoulders and walked past her, going to the balcony.

Irene followed suit.

"What can I say? She'll benefit from it in the end."

Besides, he actually got you, hah. He grabbed the long end of the stick.

At this time, he was already kinda regretting putting the script in that file.

Witnessing the slight change of pace in Vince's tone when he talked to Lilian made him feel a bit guilty. He did make a promise to Carl, but he was also in a bind. Plus, he sincerely thought that "The Fall of Eden" was conducive to Lilian's growth.

He has to push forward.

A sigh escaped from his lips.

He turned his head to face Irene beside him.

He asked, "Why was I pulled here for?" Nobody would be able to catch his slightly despondent tone if they were inattentive

Irene, who was preoccupied with her thoughts and was contentedly basking under the sun, was noncommittal. "Nothing."

She just wanted his company—a familiar presence. She would normally call Riley for this, but that young woman was busy with her novel. If Riley reminded her of Liz, then Alex resembled Nathan.

The golden light illuminated Irene's fair and smooth skin. Her mouth was hooked up.

"You appear to be having fun," Vince called out.

Irene lifted an eyebrow at him, smirking. "Am I?"

"Yes. Yes, you are. I can also see that you especially like Lilian." He was intrigued by this.

Irene was not bothered by his interested approach. "How can I not? She's the cutest person I've ever met. You can't not adore her." She quite liked this topic.

Alex just stood there, listening to Irene gush over Lilian. It was a joy killing time with Irene like this.

In a light voice, he said, "Watch your words when with Lilian. That pure girl would be heartbroken to realize that her cool goddess is, in reality, a simp."

"Hey!" Irene exclaimed. "What about you? You're a Husky in the morning, but a German Shepherd at night. Those 'friends' of yours would be pissed to know the truth."

Alex was enjoying their bantering. Not looking at Irene, he leaned and rested his arms on the guardrail with the sky as his background. His muscles were relaxed. "Not all."

Irene rolled her eyes. "Of course. Carl and Vince are special."

Alex was discontent to hear what she said. Why did she leave herself out? Doesn't she consider him as a friend?

As though desiring to drill this fact to her, his voice changed from light to heavy, from carefree to solemn. "You're special too."

He stared at her. Alex's lips were pressed tightly as he focused on her.

Irene was held captive by his intense stare—as if his ocean-blue eyes could marvel at her soul infinitely.

A pin drop could be heard miles away.

In between the gap of the first and third second, heat rose from Irene's ear and her heart skipped a beat. A palpable tension flashed between them.

But just as quickly as it sprouted, it snapped like a flimsy twig.