Ch. 20: Bullshit

Authors note

I rewrote this one! I hope you like it!

"Drink plenty of water."

"I will."

"Early bedtime."

"Of course."

"And refrain from physical strain."

"You've got it."

"No sex either."

"Yep."

"Avoid alcoholic beverages."

"What?" She's sure listening now. "Not even wine?"

"No. It's just for a few days."

"No red meat—"

"I need wine."

"Doctor's orders. No alcoholic beverages."

"I'm gonna die." She really needs to leave.

"If you don't lay off the wine. And sex. And meat. And cardio–" She needs to leave now.

"I get it! I'll be good."

Marilyn practically jumps off the table. She saw her.

"No cardio! Remember, keep your heart rate down!"

It was hard to see her face, through the darkness, through her cloak, but she'd seen it before. She'd appeared to her, in the distorted memory, only a vision really...

Marilyn has to catch up to her. Sylvie.

"Hiding in plain sight?" Sylvie starts walking faster. "Looking for the Timekeepers?"

"Yes. You're in my way."

"That's the point."

"Well, move."

"No." Sylvie brushes past her, anyway.

"This is hilarious, honestly. Us, ending up together, after all."

"Very funny."

"So, I'll just leave you alone now."

"Farewell." Sylvie slams the door behind her. Naturally, Marilyn knocks.

"You may not come in!"

"Please. Can we talk?"

Sylvie opens the door, unable to look her in the eye. "I can't do this." Just like that, the door is shut.

"Oh, for crying out loud." She bangs on the door, for dear life. "You're out of touch with your emotions!"

*

She's there, again. Cornered, but fine. And the TemPad's on the floor. It was obvious what she was going to do. Sylvie was surrounded. Marilyn crawls over, doing her best to keep quiet. She extends an arm, reaching out. By the time she's got it, in her hand, and she looks up, everyone's down. Every. single. one of them.

But then the room's full again. Armor. Clashing. Brute violence. The TemPad clatters to the floor. Sylvie looks tired now, not that she'd admit it. And Loki's on the other side of the room. Wordlessly, it starts again. The clashing of armor, the violence.

The room fills, once again, and this time Marilyn recognizes a few faces. Mobius. Hunter B-15. Ravonna. Loki and Sylvie seem to have joined forces. Marilyn's right behind them, although it's not the best place to be. Blades clatter to the floor. Then Loki has the TemPad.