5. A New Birth

I opened my eyes into a blurry white light, bright and almost blinding.

"Can you tell me your name?!"

A soothing voice calls for me. So I hummed to answer.

"Jeon Jungkook."

I rolled my eyeballs up to my head as the light hits my eyes. All I can feel is a soft hand on my face, trying to open my eyes gently.

Then slowly, I saw him.

He looks divine.

His face.. I don't know why, but I felt calm just by staring at it.

"Mr. Jeon? Do you know what year it is now?"

"2022?"

"That's right."

"Where's Hae-rang? M-my daughter?!"

"They will be here in a while. For now, take it easy. Rest your eyes if you must."

He smiled.

"Are you leaving? Don't go."

I asked. Only because I don't want to feel alone.

"No. I'm here to stay. I will look after you. I will take care of your heart, from now on.. And I will never get tired-- Jungkook."

It felt good hearing it.

So I rest my eyes. Because it just felt right, knowing he is just around.

✧*。✧*。

Several months later.

Jin smiled as he placed a bouquet of flowers beside the niche - already with lighted incense sticks in front of it.

"I miss you, Namjoon-ah!" Jin said softly, hovering his fingers on a framed photo of him and Namjoon - standing just by the urn.

"I have treated a seven-year old boy today, Joon. He just got discharged this morning. I will miss him though. He always greets me good morning with the biggest smile whenever I do my rounds. His father was the happiest when I said that he's all better. And you know what, he's a police officer. So I talked to him about you."

Jin paused for a while and forced a smile as he can feel his eyes are getting teary. "And so I missed you again. Coz I can't stop talking about you. I know I shouldn't do that, right? I'm sorry. I can't help it sometimes.."

Then Jin tapped the bouquet and smiled, "Mmm-- anyways, these flowers are from him. They're beautiful, don't you think? I guess your heart has made him soft somehow."

Jin bit his bottom lip, remembering how his clinic was filled with several vases and bouquets of flowers when he arrived this morning.

It's the first time Jungkook has responded to him. And he was surprised that the latter would do such a thing for him, just to ask him out for a dinner.

"Are you fine with me trying it out with him?! Well, yes I know it hasn't been a year since you passed, so it's not okay. What was I thinking?!"
Jin sighed. "But think that I only want him near so I can feel you near me too, hmm?"

"Dr. Kim?!"

Jin quickly turned to see a man with a handful of white tulips in his hands.