Similar features

I just honestly watched the two on Netflix so I might be pretty new lol

This is all mostly also just for fun since I quite like both movies

Something I realized the two had in common is not about brown short haired highschool girls who turned into cats, but the whole cat world itself

Them going into a cat world and finding their way out of it which was mostly in the middle part of the story

If they would be connected, I can see the movie "The cat returns" to be many years in the past, and so their world has been weakening until it had started to fade away.
It caused the civilians to fled the cat kingdom, leaving them in the overworld.

And so they had to hide, some adapted to the human world to be house cats and others found that there was even just a little bit of magic left in the human world, which led them to making their hide out somewhere where it would not be very noticeable to the human eye.

They settled in Tokoname city, using the remaining magic from the cat kingdom, painting red lines to the pottery footpath in Aichi Prefecture to make locating the new cat place easier for cats, because it would not be seen through a humans eyes.

There wasn't always a big tree there, walking alond the steady made wooden bridge, the cats placed a tiny seed just by the ground and left it there.

Years passed and it somehow grew and grew, taking the cat's magic with it to make it a lovely place for the remaining cats to dwell in peace

But having the magic stay in the human world always good, it gave some cats hungry for power, deceiving. Like a certain new cat, decided to use the power to let certain people like Haru who can understand cats become cats when they want to. Which is why they created the cat mask. Though slowly that certain cat realized when a human remains as a cat, they get that human's life span as well, for a cat's lifespan is shorter, which made that certain cat deceive more people, soon then it wasn't only a certain amount people that can understand cats, anyone can, the cat even being able to look like a human to deceive anyone into wearing the mask, and liking being a cat. Now being known as "The mask seller"

And not just that, but the mask seller also seemed to have sold human masks as well, for cats who want to be human.

Of course, the humans who become cats also stay within the tree, though a feeling of regret and guilt still stays within their hearts

And no, in my opinion I don't think muta would Still be alive, because many years has passed, a cat's lifespan is unfortunately not that long. But the baron could still be around, just not for miyo's adventure.