Our mark

It’s a normal boring Friday night in the Block. The “gang” is at Moses’ house watching the discovery channel. Not the most exciting activity but none of them knew what else to do. Moses, Pest and Biggz are sitting comfortably on the couch while Denis and Jerome sit on the ground pressed against the couch. Suddenly a light bulb went off in Moses’ head, making him turn to Pest.

“Yo Pest, do you still got them spray cans?” Moses asks, getting a devilish grin from his curly haired friend. Pest grabs his bag, unzipping it and tipping it to the side. “Believe.” He grins showing off the six different coloured spray cans as well as a handful of fireworks. A wide smile broke out on the leader's face as he got up and began walking towards the door. “Come on boys! I got an idea.” He calls out behind himself as he exits his apartment. Instantly Pest, Jerome, Denis and Biggz were on their feet and following Moses blindly. Excited chatter took over the gang as they made their way out to the streets.

“Aye Moses! Where we going?” Biggz, the youngest, asks from the back trying to keep up with the older boys. “You’ll see Biggzie.” Moses flashes a smile at the boy before continuing to lead his gang to the side of the building. There was a huge brick wall that was a part of the apartments, and it was far too boring for Moses’ liking.

Few minutes later they stood in front of the wall, most of the group still not knowing what they were doing. Moses turns and sees three curiosity filled eyes looking at him while Pest is setting down his backpack getting the paint out. “We’re marking this place ours, you get me?” Cheering and whooping erupted from the boys but quickly got stopped by Moss and Pest smacking most of them (They didn’t hit Biggz, he’s too sweet to hit). “Be quiet you idiots! We might get caught!” Pest hiss at them in a loud whisper. They say sorry and pipe down looking at their leader again.

“Jerome, Biggz, you two go down the street and keep a lookout from there.” They nod and run off down the street standing at the corner. “Denis, help me keep an eye out up here.” Moses turns to Pest who’s kneeling on the ground shaking the cans up. “You mark it.”

“Why do I always have to mark shit uppp?” Pest groans dramatically, getting an amused laugh from his friend. “You have the best writing bruv.”

“Bollocks! Den is better.”

“Oh shut up Pestie-pie. We all know you have the talent of writing.” Denis teases, earning himself another smack, this time it’s with a paint can. “Only my Nan can call me that!” Pest narrows his eyes at his friend, only getting met with snickers. “Den cut it out. Go stand at the corner.” Moses orders breaking up what was going to be a fight. Denis huffs like a pissed off four year old as he stomps to the corner. Pest couldn’t help but snicker in victory as he watched Denis leave.

“You’ve got twenty.” Moses told him but Pest waves his hand making a ‘pff’ sound. “I only need ten.” He smirks, pulling his mask up then taking off the spray bottle cap as Moses goes to stand watch.

TEN MINUTES LATER

Pest finishes off his name before stepping back to admire his work

Pest finishes off his name before stepping back to admire his work. He had to admit, his writing did look hella good on that once boring wall. He lets out whistles letting the others know that they are clear. Instantly the four boys start rushing back over to their friend.

“Damn Pest. You did a great job!” Biggz praises, a contagious smile breaking out on his face. Pest couldn’t help the prideful smile that appeared across his face. It always made him feel good seeing his friends so supportive (he will never admit that out loud). “For real man! You got a talent!” Jerome joins in, only making Pest’s smile bigger. “Thanks you two.”

“I told you, you have the best writing mate.” Moses comments looking at the wall admiringly. “That’s subjective.”
“Oh just take the compliment you dingbat.” Denis wraps his arm around Pest’s shoulder, pulling him close. “You got talent.”  He ruffled his friend’s hair making Pest groan in annoyance. “Oh piss off.” He laughs pushing Denis away playfully.

“Now what do we do Moses?”

“You still got them bangers?”

“Always.”