flying curtains

Sienna sat at her kitchen table. Her arms were relaxed on the edge of the table and her chin rested on them. Her gaze was focused on the small candle in front of her, which illuminated her face in a pale orange. The candle was in a small muffin, which was covered with colorful sprinkles. Sienna exhaled in a burst and snuffed out the small candle in front of her. Today was her 26th birthday.

A small plume of smoke developed and turned its way into the air. Sienna didn't really believe in wishes coming true, but she toyed with the idea of ​​making a wish. She sighed. A wish crossed her mind "I wish..." Her words were cut off when an owl suddenly flew into her apartment. It was an owl from the Auror Headquarters. Sienna tilted her head and watched the owl for a while, which perched on the windowsill. It was already dark outside. The sun disappeared below the horizon and scattered clouds smudged the otherwise starry sky. The brunette pushed the chair back with her legs. The wooden chair legs scraped across the smooth floor, leaving a loud creaking noise.

The young woman slowly got up from her chair and went to meet the owl. On the way to the window, she reached into the can of owl food and took out two small bites. A few steps further, Sienna was already standing in front of the open window and carefully took the letter off the little creature's leg. The owl screeched when it was finally freed from the parchment. Sienna put the letter aside and gave the little gray owl the treats. With a hoot she spread her wings and flew away. Sienna watched her for a few more moments until she disappeared over the horizon. Her eyes turned back to the parchment. She had taken an extra day off today to get some rest from her stressful workday. And what day wouldn't have been better than her own birthday? Since her Hogwarts friends were spread all over the world, there was no need for a party.

Sienna picked up the parchment and walked to her small living room off the kitchen. On the way there she also took her muffin with her. She hadn't really eaten anything all day. She sat down in her comfortable chair, which occasionally doubled as a bed after a hard day's work, and unfolded the rolled paper. Her name was written in a neat handwriting in the address line.

Dear Sienna Winter,

We're sorry to report that former curse breaker Patricia Rakepick has disappeared from the UK Auror Center's radar. According to British auror Mr. Moody, Rakepick is rumored to be on her way to America. Therefore, the involved Auror Centers felt it necessary to familiarize you with these circumstances. The history between you and Rakepick is not unknown to us.

There is currently no further information as to where Rakepick is. We do not assume that she will visit you. Nonetheless, Mr. Moody insisted that you be informed on these matters. As such, we ask that you forward any suspicious information directly to Auror Headquarters in New York. We also ask that you stay away from this case. The arrest of Patricia Rakepick remains a task for Headquarters as she is a suspect in several murders.

We hope you are well and wish you a nice day,

Auror Headquarters New York

Sienna's eyes widened and her pulse quickened. She read the lines before her again and again. She already knew every single curved line of every word and yet she didn't want to believe what she read there. This just can't be true. Her gaze lingered on the paper and focused on two words. Patricia Rakepick. Sienna never thought she would read those words anywhere again. Years have passed and she thought she was done with the subject. But the young witch was wrong. The letters literally burned themselves into her memories and opened an area that Sienna had long since pushed to the back of her mind. Old memories surged forth and flooded Sienna's mind. Like a wave of long-forgotten experiences, it tore everything down and let Sienna come down to earth. Be it Rowans dead caused by Rakepick and her unforgivable curse or the difficult decision to leave Rakepick in the underwater vault to safe her friends. More and more memories found their way back up and Sienna saw it clearly. Rakepicks betrayal in the buried vault; Rakepick's promise that she would always be there for Sienna; Rakepick when she said that Sienna was like her...