Remember Me

Ivory sits with her chin in her palm resting on the counter as she stares blankly in the middle distance. Her painted rose gold nails tapping against her face as the rustling of leaves catches her focus, the vines creeping around the service window dance in the breeze and bring her back to reality. The green moss growing in the grooves of the brickwork of the little coffee shop she works at, the reaching vines enveloping the walls latching onto the hanging cords and beams of this outdoor cafe's roof beams. It is these very plants that have entranced Ivory, crawling through this space creating her own private garden. They look so serene, tangling themselves, shading the tables from the mid afternoon sun, only allowing a few beams of light through. This light sparkles in her eyes and she smiles wistfully knowing this place to be magic. Sure it may just be a café job she works at part-time, but it's moments like these that she truly finds bliss. The dance of the plants and glint of light fills her chest with warmth and-

"Excuse me dearie"

Squeaking Ivory stands up straight to see a woman has been standing next to her counter. "I'm so sorry I didn't see you I was looking at the plant.. Uh, nevermin.. What can I get you?!" She stammers back a little too loudly.

A soft chuckle is all the response she receives at first, the woman in front of her holds the back of her hand to her mouth and closes her eyes as she laughs. It is at this moment Ivory is able to fully register her surprise customer. Long wavy brown hair falls down to nearly her waist, she is dressed in a burgundy blazer and trousers with a white blouse. She is stunning, her make-up is subtle but flawless and she holds herself with such grace. Even after standing up straight the woman towers over Ivory. "I'll take a flat white, oat please." locking her green eyes with Ivory.

"Okay! I can do that for you!" Ivory calls back putting on an exaggerated cheeriness to cover her embarrassment as she moves over to the espresso machine. "Oh, name for the order?"

The woman looks around the empty café and turns back to Ivory and smiles, "Robyn" she answers with a laugh.

Turning back to the machine Ivory continues working on the coffee, 'Stupid! She's the only one here you don't need her name!' She thinks to herself placing the cup under the dispenser, she packs grounds into the wand and locks it in, setting the machine to pour hot water through. Grabbing the pitcher and some oat milk she hears the woman speak, "I can see why you would be so distracted, this place is beautiful." 

Ivory turns to her and a smile grows on her face, "You like it too!? I feel like this place is magic sometimes, it's like my own personal garden where I might find a fairy or speak with some birds!" The sudden admission has Robyn a little stunned as a flush fills Ivory's cheeks when there is a few seconds without a response. "Uh, I'm sorry, I don't know why I said that please don't listen to me!" Ivory turns her face back to her work, the flush reaching her ears now.

"That's a wonderful way to look at it, I could very well see that happening here. Thank you very much for letting me join you in your secret garden." The words themselves could have been condescending but the genuine smile reaching Robyn's eyes showed her turn intention. 

Ivory's hands moved without her thinking while she finishes making the coffee, unable to respond to this woman she feels so small around. Her mannerisms, the ways she speaks so softly to her, her piercing green eyes, all of it makes her so flustered around this woman. She places the finished drink on the counter and mutters a "Thank you" under her breath having a difficult time looking her in the eyes.

Robyn cocks her head slightly to catch Ivory's eye, "That's my line, thank you dearie."

 A whole new wave of flush fills Ivory as she stammers some nonsensical noise in response, Why does she make me feel so little, my face feels so warm. Finally looking up to Robyn she manages to form a "You're welcome" before ringing in the coffee relying once again on autopilot. 

"And what was your name love?"

"Ivory"

"Well Ivory, thank you again for letting me visit you in your magic garden. I work close to here, perhaps you will let me visit again sometime?"

"Of course you're always welcome! I promise I'll remember your drink order next time you come in!"

Robyn's smile deepens on her face as she brings her second hand to the coffee cup curling her unpainted nails around it, "I'd prefer if you would just remember me." She turns and the sound of her heels click on the wooden floors as she exits stealing one last glance at the speechless Ivory who hasn't blinked, her mouth slightly agape.

Robyn walks down the wooden boardwalk that lead to the hidden café, this city is obsessed with hidden shops and bars so it's no wonder she missed this spot on her walks to work everyday. Tucked in next to an old firehall the hedges grow almost four meters tall so unless you knew to enter in the open hatch gate you would never know it was here. Something about today caught her curiosity as she walked the sidewalk after a lunch meeting leaving her needing a mid afternoon boost. The building almost called out to her today as she was in no rush to return to the office, Why not explore a little, if I'm not supposed to be in there I can lie and say I thought it was an alley that lead to the street behind. Much to her surprise when she entered into a hidden café, exactly what she was looking for like it was magic.

Inside was a sweet thing smiling away staring into space, looking around this café with no guests. Robyn watched her for a moment, her chestnut hair falling in curls to her collarbone with a fringe ending just above her eyebrows. Her blue eyes shine in the little light of this space and she gives off a radiance of innocence, Robyn thinks to herself that she looks like a doll in her light jumper and frilled blouse. She calls and and sees her startle, a deer in the woods after the crack of a branch. Could this girl be anymore adorable? Robyn orders and then she hears the sweet thing say it:

"You like it too!? I feel like this place is magic sometimes, it's like my own personal garden where I might find a fairy or speak with some birds!"

Magic. Sometimes life truly can be magic. It was in this moment that Robyn felt herself melt, she needed to come back. She needed to see Ivory again.

Remember me.