Chapter III

There was too much noise.

Everywhere he went, everything was way too noisy. Though adding the heat of the Southern Continent into the mix wasn't a good decision either.

So, Lorcan Salvaterre was sweating, grumpy, and bordering on a full on headache from the sensory overload around every corner.

He was tempted to blow this infernal marketplace to bits, though he didn't think Nesryn or Sartaq would be overly amused at that stunt.

Lorcan also tried not to think about another person that would not like it. A dark haired woman with the nerves of steel. Moreover, according to the last time he had gotten a letter from Whitethorn, which was over three years ago, claws of her own.

No, he tried not to think about it. She had washed her hands of him years ago when they had failed to find her beloved queen, it wouldn't do any good to pine after her like a lovesick fool.

Besides, the reason he was here was for the same reason why the Lady of Perranth refused to talk to him.

According to the Witch Queen, who he had run into briefly three weeks ago, Vaughn was spotted getting on a boat sailing for the Southern Continent.

Lorcan could barely stand the pity in the White Demon's stare. Had wanted to blow her to bits. The only thin keeping him from doing so had been the twelve other witches surrounding her, and the dark haired woman he had once known.

It seemed everything circled back to her.

Lorcan sensed him before he made himself known. Then when he did, Lorcan scented his caution.

"I'm not here to kill you." he found himself saying.

Vaughn chuckled, and he could practically see him shaking his head. Feathered know it all.

"You're going soft Salvaterre."

Lorcan turned, grinning at him. "Unsheathe that pretty sword of yours and we'll see who's going soft," he all but snarled.

They had reached a deserted alley, the red bricks near luminescent in the sun. No windows in sight, thankfully. The roofs were high, but high enough that he wouldn't see an archer on the tops of them.

"Now there's the grumpy asshole I am unfortunate to know."

Vaughn leaned against the wall, as far away from him as possible, he noted.

"Why are you here Salvaterre? I've already told Whitethorn that I'm not joining his court, you two of all people should know how much I hate politics."

Lorcan grinned. "Whitethorn and I haven't been in contact for three years now. I'm not in a hurry to pick it up again."

Vaughn raised a brown eyebrow at him, questions in his hazel eyes. "You're still looking for the Fire Breather aren't you?"

Lorcan stiffened, as he fought the urge to snarl at the male before him.

"You better hurry then." Vaughn said, walking out of the alley. "Because it's not just her you need to find. She has a child too."