18

"Son, I need you to understand that you're getting at that age now where you need to settle down." Father's lips are pursed in a tight line. He clasps his fists together and looks at me, like Maxwell does every day, with sorrow and pity in his eyes. "You've even lost your leg; you can't waste any more time with your science playthings. Once you return to Earth, who will be your family? Do you plan on living alone for the remainder of your life, even when you retire?"

"No, father, I—"

"Is it because you like men? Is that why you've never bought someone home? You can tell me, I'd rather know than be left in the dark like this."

"No!" I shout.

The room shrinks. The lights go dim. They flicker out like a dying candle until our faces turn to coal.

"That's not why. I just—I don't know—I haven't felt—"

My breaths grow heavy. My clothes are suddenly all too tight around my neck. It's like they're suffocating me.

Beneath the table, a hole forms in the middle of my living room.

We are sucked into a void.

I fall into darkness.

Vague light shines against the black, leaving me face to face with two large eyes. I realize with horror that this void isn't a void, but the Kraken. And the air now smells like iron, the blood of lost men. The scent grips my gut. As I land against the monster's musky tongue, bile crawls up my throat while I descend down into his.

The Kraken lets out a piercing cry. And I scream. I scream. I scream until my lungs fail me and my voice is hoarse and I can scream no more.

I open my eyes.

Panting, my gaze darts left to right. My limbs tense. I grasp the bed sheets with all my might.

I swallow hard.

I tilt my head.

Luenos sleeps soundly by my side.

Wiping sweat off my brow, I lean against my elbows and push myself up. I don't want to go back. Tugging at my collar, I think, I don't want to be alone.

Each breath I take is deeper than the last.

I steal one final glance Luenos's way and slide out of bed before exiting my quarters.

The dimly lit corridors are empty, and the only sound to be heard is the low humming of the ship's engine. I wish I could fully turn on the lights to see something resembling dawn, even if only by a little, but I know I can't allow myself this privilege—we must save power.

I wander to the far corner of the ship, near the cafeteria, where a bench and single wall sit in front of a large glass, allowing for a view I believed only possible in movies and comics back home.

To my surprise, the bench isn't empty.

Vihkir glances my way. His parted lips slowly turn into a smile. "Vance." He pats the space next to him. "Care to join me?"

I nod, silent, as I scoot beside him.

He stares at the outside world, the eternal emptiness of space I find to be both a blessing and a curse. The stars outside reflect off his golden eyes. He looks so happy, so peaceful and calm. His pale skin is illuminated by the light of the moon, giving his features quite the peculiar ground. Vihkir's grin grows wider. "It's beautiful," he says.

"It really is," I breathe, my heart racing in my throat as he turns my way.

Vihkir snickers. "You're not even looking at it." He leans forward. His palm comes to rest against my cheek. "Or, perhaps, did you mean me?" he asks.