III

Holding a pencil taller than him, Natsu watched her looking out of the window with her cheek planted on her palm, elbow on her study table propping herself up. He observed her silently, worry started lingering on his chest.

Lucy...had not been on herself since he came back. He always caught her staring at nowhere as if she's in a deep thought. He didn't expect it. He thought she'd scold him for going back to her apartment since she clearly wasn't favored by his presence. But she didn't. She hadn't said anything.

"Is something wrong?" He asked after a moment, couldn't stand the sudden change anymore.

But like her previous response to the same question, she just gave him a stare with a small smile on her lips. "Nothing. Do you want to go out with me?"

Natsu felt his mouth form a small circle, eyes widening from an unexpected invitation. "We're going out?! Is this a date?!"

She only chuckled, shaking her head as she gathered all the pieces of paper on her table. Natsu looked down at his drawing, blinking his eyes at his artwork of Lucy. His cheeks felt warm, happiness bubbling within him. It wasn't that huge of a development and just a simple request, but the fact that she asked him to go out meant she wanted to spend time with him, right?

Natsu took a glance at her, a lump forming in his throat.

But why? Why did her eyes hold that distant feeling?

It was like she was physically there, in front of him, but her mind was so far away.

What's going on?

"Are you sure you're fine?" He asked once again after Lucy took a bath. She's now standing in front of the mirror, tying a bunch of hair on the side of her head while letting the rest loose on her shoulders.

She was wearing a simple white sleeveless top tucked in a black high-waisted skirt. It was paired with a black ankle boots. Even though the front of her outfit was decent, Natsu's eyes narrowed when he saw a huge portion of her back exposed because of her top's style. With her blonde hair short and reaching only her shoulders, it was revealed for everyone to see.

He didn't say anything, though. He just decided to punish anyone who would dare make a comment he wouldn't like without her knowing.

"What made you think I'm not okay?" Lucy raised an eyebrow at him, spraying a bit of perfume on her wrists. It smelled like a mix of strawberry and vanilla.

Natsu pressed his lips in a grim line. He came back here only yesterday morning after three days of staying in his world. And then there she was, acting so weird and distant. He wondered...if something happened while he was gone?

"Nothing..." was what came out of his lips instead of asking her further.

While they were on their way, Natsu busied himself observing her. He was flying next to her head with his small dragon wings spread proudly, his whole presence and form were invisible to other people. With them in public, Lucy kept herself from talking to him and he understood.

So he just watched her, going to her other side sometimes. When he got bored, he decided to just land on her shoulder. He sniffed her neck and he received a stern clearing of throat from her with a sharp little glance from the corner of her eyes. So he gave up, started climbing her hair until he reached the top of her head.

He rested there comfortably, his stomach flat against her scalp while having both his little arms hanging on her forehead.

From there, Natsu could clearly see all the people they were passing by, especially those who had their attention on Lucy. Mostly men. Of course, it's not her fault being a real beauty. So Natsu directed all his glares at them even if they couldn't see him. No one's making a move, so he remained chill.