Chapter 13

Telling my mothers, brother, and sisters about seeing Halley's comet with Nora went about as well as anyone would expect. 

   "You're going on a date!" Otto squealed.

   "When you move out to live with her, can I have your room?" Theo asked. 

   "Don't let your space geek shine through." Leo poked.

   And two "Awww's" from Lily and Jenny. 

   I slipped on a black shirt with gold studs along the little bit of cleavage it showed, covering the top bit of my jeans. My hair was done in a braid down my back and Leo was currently doing my make-up. 

   "Geo, can I ask something?" 

   "For the last time, no, you cannot have my room when I move out." 

   He laughed and swirled a bit of gold eyeshadow on the brush. "No, it's not that. Do you think it's weird that I do makeup?" 

   "Why on Earth would I think that Leo?" 

   "I dunno. Some of the kids at school make fun of my makeup and painted nails, and I just don't want to embarrass you or the family."

   "I'm going to stop you right there, mop head. As long as you are doing what you love in a non-harmful way, I couldn't give a rat's ass what you do. The same goes for moms, Theo, and Otto. I mean, Otto practically beams when her big brother does her nails." 

   "Sometimes though, I don't feel like a boy. I don't feel like a girl either. I just...am. I don't want to change anything just yet, but I just feel like I don't fit in the binary." 

   "And that is enough for us Leo. I want you to live to be your most authentic self. We will be with you along the way, cheering you on." 

   "Even if I'm a drag queen?"

   "Are you stupid or just not listening? You are YOU! We love you no less because of anything you do. You have two bisexual mothers and at least one lesbian sister. No matter who you turn out to be, you are my sibling and I love you no matter what."  

   "Thanks, Geo. You're nice when you're supportive." 

   "Shut the hell up, I'm always nice."

   When Leo finished my makeup, I went to the living room where Lily and Jenny were watching TV while Theo and Otto played "Go Fish". 

   "You look stunning," Jenny said, smiling widely. 

   "Yeah, I've seen uglier people in my days," Theo said, which got her a swat on the arm from Lily. 

   "Beautiful!" Otto exclaimed.

   "Come on Geo, let's get you down there in time," Lily said, grabbing the keys.

   "Is everyone going?" I asked.

   "Yes!" Otto yelled.

   "No," Lily countered. 

   "What?" Otto, Theo, and Leo shrieked.

   "You three stay here, Leo is in charge. Jenny and I will take Geo." 

   "No fair!" Otto stomped. 

   I stuck my tongue out to her as Jenny waved. "We'll be back in time to sit out and watch the sky! Be good!"

   And with that, the door closed behind us.