Chapter Four

(…) “Sure, why not?” I smiled at them and waved good-bye before bounding down the stairs. 

CHAPTER four:

Disregarding my mother as I skipped into my house, I swept into the living room and sighed heavily. I placed my feet on top of the couch and drew up my journal from my slouched over bag. I continued where I left off at and told my book about Becca and me agreeing to help the boys this summer run a surf shop.

“So, tell me Em, why is this morning so heavenly peaceful?” she asked, gliding towards me with a plate filled with pancakes.

“Because Nick and Lucas are at work and the boys are working on a project.” I said vaguely, not wanting to give too much away. I doubt the Whiteners wanted my mother to know how poor they are at the moment.

“That is what should happen every morning for the rest of the summer.” she said under her breath as she handed me the plate of food. I smirked at her then started to eat. 

“Eddie is coming over later on to take me to the store. This house is empty of any food!” my mother cried from her bedroom. I grumbled something back, too interested in my food. 

After my breakfast I went back out to help the boys with their blueprints of the surf shop when I ran into Becca…again. 

“Oh. It’s you.” she said with a disgusted look on her face. My nose flared and I could feel the anger building in my chest. 

“The feeling is mutual.” I rolled my eyes and started to walk again when she stopped me. “What?” 

“I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be a snotty little rich girl who ran away because her parents just throws money at her to shut up, because that’s not who I am. I am Rebecca Lynn Thomas and I ran away because my life is boring and I wanted to be wild for once. Let’s start over again?” she asked, a soft smile clear on her face. My brain raced for a smart comeback, but when I looked into her eyes all I saw was serenity. I looked at her for a second then I felt my tension loosen at the thought of one less enemy at this beach.

“Sure.” I smile and I put my hand out for shaking, “I’m Emma Jai Garcia” She grabs my hand and starts to shake violently.

“Nice to meet you, Emma.” she flashes me her pearly whites and I feel warm inside. 

We walked to the boys’ house together talking about life. Turns out Becca is a lot like me, she loves to read and her favorite activity is to draw. She promised to show me her work later when I have some free time. We parted ways when we reached the house. I knocked on the door this time, not feeling the urge to just barge in. 

“Come in.” I heard someone say, so I pushed the door open to find the cluttered house…hot! I left the door open to let some wind in and started to walk leisurely around, looking at pictures on the wall.

“Emma?” I heard Nate call down. 

“No, It’s God.” I said in a masculine voice. 

“Come on, Emma. We need your help on this layout.” Connor said, swinging his head out over the railing of the stairs. I nodded and followed him up to the room where the large piece of paper was laid out.

“That’s not going to work.” I said after I stared at it for a while.

“And why not?” Nate asked, his eye brows furrowing.

“I mean the shop blueprint is fine, but I meant running this shop isn’t going to work. First, this beach is private, meaning no one can come on this beach besides us and second, you need a sellers permit.” I explained. Nate threw his pencil across the room and moaned angrily.