Chapter 17: Really

Kelly looked over Camila's table with a sharp military eye, straightening a polished fork and finally giving the place settings her approval. With a nod, she turned to Camila in the kitchen. "How did I not know you could cook?"

Camila looked up from the cutting board, and smiled across the island at Kelly. "Don't let this fool you. I can make a few things. I wouldn't say I can cook exactly," she answered, setting down her knife and scraping her neatly chopped vegetables into a bowl. "Sofi will never let me forget the time I said I'd make the turkey for Thanksgiving and it was raw. Well it was cooked on the outside. It was not so pretty on the inside."

Kelly chuckled, pulling out a stool to sit. "So where the hell did you learn this?"

Camila wiped her hands with the towel thrown over her shoulder. "When I lived in Korea, I worked in the kitchen of a bit of an upscale place. Sure, I mostly did dishes, but sometimes I helped with prep. I learned a lot. Picked up a few tricks. Some colourful language."

Kelly plucked a piece of carrot out of the bowl and popped it in her mouth. "I didn't realize you lived there for so long."

Camila nodded, pulling out a few pots and pans. "Almost two years."

Kelly watched Camila move around the kitchen. "You're doing it tonight aren't you?"

Camila turned from the stove. "Doing what?"

"Saturday night. The cooking. The candles. What else you got planned?" Kelly asked, giving Camila a scrupulous once over.

Camila fiddled with her spatula, biting her lip. "I just wanted to have a nice date, and- I don't know...I want- I want to tell her."

Kelly reached for another carrot and waited for Camila to continue, smiling.

"I mean I can't really wait much longer. It's always right here," she went on, sticking out the tip of her tongue. "And I know I have a rambling problem. I don't want to just blurt it out or something. I want to do it right, I want to make it special. I got this fancy wine I know she likes, and these cupcakes from this place where she always goes with Thomas, because I will not attempt to bake. Also I think red velvet goes well with I love you."

Kelly pressed her hand against her chest. "Aw. Is it too late to switch sisters?"

Camila blushed. "It's gonna be perfect."

"I'm sure it will be."

---

Lauren was biting her lip and looking sadly apologetic, a squirming Thomas perched on her hip, when Camila swung the door open.

"My mother was suppose to-" Lauren began, but Camila cut her off with a kiss, and reached out to take Thomas.

"It's okay," she punctuated with another kiss, before leading Lauren into the apartment.

"Hi Camila!" Thomas piped up, bouncing in her arms.

"Hey bud," she responded, smiling as he fiddled with the collar of her shirt. "I got a whole shelf of movies by the TV of there. How 'bout you go pick one out for us."

Thomas beamed and was off like a flash as soon as his feet hit the floor.

Lauren stepped forward to place herself in Camila's now vacant arms. Strong hands resting on narrow hips. "I'm sorry," she started, but stopped as Camila shook her head.

"Don't ever apologize for anything like this. For being a mother and all the wonderful things that go with it. Thomas is as much a part this as we are. We probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for him."

Lauren let out a shaky breath before she pressed her lips together, nodding. "I know," she said, looking over Camila's shoulder at the table perfectly set for two. "I just- I know you wanted tonight to be about us. Apart from the one guilty mother part of my brain, I wanted that too."

Camila smiled and squeezed Lauren's hips. "We'll have other chances."

Lauren nodded and kissed Camila soft and slow. "We will. I should know by now to never rely on my mother."

Camila brought a hand up to stroke Lauren's cheek, chasing away the darkened expression that threatened whenever the elder Jauregui was mentioned. "We'll still have a wonderful evening."

Lauren nodded, collecting herself. "We will. I'm very curious as to what you cooked. I wasn't aware this was a skill set you'd acquired, though it does smell wonderful in here."

Camila shot a hand up to her mouth, rushing over to the fridge. "Oh no. I don't think there's anything Thomas will want to eat."

Lauren stepped behind her, running her hand over Camila's back as she looked frantically in the fridge and then the freezer. "What did you make?"

"Korean," Camila answered, rushing to check a couple cupboards before turning back to Lauren. "It's all I can cook. I learned a few things when I lived over there. It's delicious, but I don't think Thomas will eat octopus or tartare," she went on running a hand through her hair, and going back to the fridge, talking to herself.

"Will he eat black cod? Probably not. How do I have like no other food? Okay," she said, grabbing her wallet off the table by the door. Before Lauren could register what was happening, Camila was slipping into her shoes. "I'm going to run out, you guys put in a movie and I'll be right back. Oh, and there's wine on the counter, help yourself!" She threw around the door, before it closed.

---

Lauren turned her head when she heard the door open and the rustling of a grocery bag. "Did you run?" She asked, lifting Thomas, who remained focused on the TV, off her lap and getting up from the couch.

Camila leaned over to suck in some needed air. "Maybe," she panted, straightening up. She held the bag up between them. "But I have returned with food for the little man, and a choice," she said, pulling things out and placing them on the island. "Fish sticks or chicken nuggets. Both are served with a side of sweet potato fries and peas."

Lauren smiled, and walked around the kitchen to kiss one of Camila's reddened cheeks. "That's a lot of food for a little man."

Camila played with the corner of the bag of peas. "Well I figured I should have food for him, you know, in case he's here again. If there's an emergency or something," she went on, moving away to pull out some pots and pans. "I should probably get other stuff too. Legos and some toys. Books! I mean I wouldn't let him just sit in front of the TV-,

She was cut off by Lauren's hands on her cheeks, pulling her face around and into a fierce kiss.

"I love you," Lauren declared, punctuated with another kiss.

Eyes wide, Camila struggled think of words let alone speak. Her mouth opened and closed a few times before she managed to suck in a deep, steadying breath. "R-r-really?" She finally stammered.

Lauren smiled, and ran her thumbs over Camila's cheeks. "Yes, champ. Really."

Camila looked away, mouth still agape, and back at Lauren before taking another shaky breath. "Oh. But I was going to tell you at-at dinner."

Lauren bit her lip as she smiled, shaking her head. "You can still say it, darling."

Realization begins to light up Camila's eyes. "You love me."

"How could I not?"

Camila's mouth finally closed as she grinned and grabbed Lauren around the waist, lifting her off the floor and spinning them around.

"I love you," Camila laughed. "I love you so much," she repeated, taking another turn through the kitchen.

"I love you too, mama!" Thomas chimed in jumping up, tiny hands gripping the back of the couch as he bounced.

"What about Camila?" Lauren asked, breathless and mirthful as Camila finally set her down.

"Love Camila too."