In The Middle Of The Night

I look around the living room and see everyone is asleep

I look around the living room and see everyone is asleep. I check my phone and it's four in the morning now. I convinced everyone to watch Insidious with me but the girls were too scared after so we had to put on a comedy. They chose White Chicks and I didn't argue because I like that movie. They all fell asleep like 10 minutes into the movie but I really can't blame them. We've had a long night. I can't sleep for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because I still have too much adrenaline from tonight or because I was knocked out for hours. Or maybe it's the trauma. One may never know. I don't even feel tired to be honest. I turn towards Cam who is asleep next to me on the couch. He looks so peaceful and beautiful when he's sleeping. I lean down and kiss his forehead. I shouldn't have but I couldn't help it. His eyes flutter open. Not a deep sleeper, noted.

"Are you okay?" He asks with concern in his voice. It's cute how he protects me. For a girl who grew up with older brothers, you'd think I wouldn't like being protected by some man but it's different with Cam. I feel so safe in his presence. It's funny to think how much my feelings keep changing for him. 

"I'm fine. I just can't sleep," I shrug. I think he either didn't realize I kissed his forehead or he's choosing to ignore it but either way, I'm grateful. The last thing I need is to seem like some crazy chick who's kissing him in his sleep. We haven't even talked about all the things that have gone on between us in the past week. "I was gonna go for a walk to the beach. That always helps me relax."

"Are you crazy? You were gonna go alone? After what just happened to you tonight?" He's trying to whisper so that he doesn't wake everyone up but I can tell he wants to yell at me. I don't like the idea of thinking of myself like some victim who should have to live her life in fear. 

I shrug again. "I always go for late night walks. I take my taser and pepper spray. It's something I've done since I moved to Canada. We had a lot of property to walk around on and I haven't been able to stop that habit since I've moved here."

"Fine but I'm going with you from now on." Internally, I'm screaming yes please! But on the outside...

I laugh, "Oh yeah? And how is that gonna work? I'm just gonna call you in the middle of the night and you're gonna come walk with me?" He nods. "Even if you're sleeping?"

"Emmy, I never want to leave your side again. I'd have to be dead in my grave to let you walk around alone at night. Even then, I would haunt you so you weren't alone," he says as serious as ever. I take a much larger gulp than intended. 

"You're insane, Johnson," I giggle but I'm getting butterflies in my stomach at the thought of having Cam by my side for the rest of my life. Ugh, get a grip Em. He's just saying that, there's no way he can be by your side forever. 

"I know. Now, let's go." We put our shoes and hoodies on and head out the door as quietly as possible, hoping we didn't wake anyone. We start walking toward the beach and I can't help but marvel at the beautiful sky. The moon is big and bright and the sky is a deep purple. I shiver a little as the crisp night air makes its way through my hoodie. It's probably 40 degrees outside and I'm sure it will be even colder at the beach. But I kinda like the cold, it reminds me of home.