Thirty-Three

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

His warm hands tinged with a chilled edge from the breeze danced across my cheekbones. And If there was such a thing as slow-motion blinking, I was doing that right now. I could see his lips move. Hear the words. But my brain couldn't process it.

Adam wanted to leave his life in Lockwood to come here and be with me.

In New York—with me!

I nearly caved like a house of cards and yanked him forward to plant my mouth on his.

I didn't though—no, I stayed perfectly still, because I'd been hasty and impulsive back in Lockwood and where had that gotten me? Nowhere, well, maybe a trip to the nearest heartbreak theme park. And I sure as hell wasn't planning on renewing my season pass.

But this, what he was sayin' right now, had my mind thinking all sorts of crazy things, and most of them were muddled and insubstantial as I tried to figure out what all this meant.

He'd travelled cross-county to come see me. He'd set up this amazing experience today... for me. And he was saying all the right things... mostly.

And by mostly I meant it wasn't some undying declaration of love like I'd read about in so many of my books over the years. No, this was real and I could with all honesty say I felt a change in him, almost as if the earth had shifted beneath our feet.

It was both scary and exciting.

But was it enough?

And I couldn't help the shameful thoughts of if he was given a choice between me and his wife, Emma. Who would he choose?

I know, dumb right? But the thoughts was still there. And there was only one sure-fire way to find out.

"When I asked you back at the hospital if you were willing to open up your heart to me." He nodded. "That look you gave me said more than any words could. What's changed in this short amount of time?"

He answered straight off the bat—no hesitation.

"Losing you," he shuffled closer, adding, "and I thought I had to choose between you and Emma."

Shit, could he read my mind? "I never asked you to choose, Adam."

"I know I'm smart, Riley." He shook his head. "But sometimes I'm not that bright." He dropped his hands to rest on each of his thighs. "I know it makes little sense and after conversations with Chris, Danny, hell, even your Nana Em, I can see now I don't have to choose."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll be honest with you, Riley. I kept thinking I might wake up and all I would see was her instead of you." He looked off into the distance, his eyes a little lost before they came back to me. "I know it sounds crazy."