Nightmares

He stood in the corner of the cell, harsh tears rolling down his seemingly soft cheeks. I looked around for someone possessing a key, however all I saw was the impending darkness. The boy starting shrieking as I advanced towards him. I tripped, and pried myself off of the ground, powered by the cries of the helpless infant crouched metres away from me.

Suddenly, the black closed in, suffocating me as I struggled for breath. I shot up covered in sweat, just in time to see my mother stumbling through the door. She padded over the carpet, before taking a seat on the edge of my bed, holding my hand and stroking my cheek comfortingly.

"Audrey, darling. It's me. You just had a bad dream, honey. Go back to sleep sweetheart."

After a few minutes of silence, I squeezed her wrist to let her know I was ok. She kissed my forehead before retreating back to the warmth of her bed. I sat up, playing with a stray string in my blanket, before letting my head fall back onto my pillow. With much internal persuading, I eventually I closed my eyes.

・・・

I was woken up by an annoying tone and the soft glow illuminating through the curtains. Rolling over onto my stomach, I silenced my alarm before picking up my phone to text my best friends.

Audrey: Are either of you coming this morning?

I waited a few seconds before my phone beeped furiously.

Natalie: Yep. See you soon babe :) Xx.

I could always count on Nat to join me for the morning walk. She was a total, complete sports freak, and she would never pass on exercise and a gossip. Becky, I wasn't so sure.

For two minutes I waited until my phone vibrated again.

Rebecca: Ugh, I forgot. Yeah, I'll be at yours in twenty minutes. x

After I'd changed and eaten breakfast, I tossed my bowl in the sink and sat at the bottom of the stairs to pull my runners on. Just as I finished, I heard a sharp knock, and I bounced up and swung the door open.