Lazy Day

I spent the whole day lounging around, just eating, watching movies, reading and sleeping. Becky had rung and asked if I wanted to go to a new bar with a couple of other girls from school, including Natalie, and I agreed rapidly, tucking the phone between my ear and shoulder as I darted over to my cupboard to pick out an outfit. I was so excited, because my life has been really boring lately, and I loved partying! The clothes hangers screeched as I slid them over the metal rack in anticipation. After searching for five minutes my outfit was complete. I had chosen my cutting edge black dress (which reached halfway down my thighs), some stunning red earrings and flaming ruby heels.

Content with myself, I sat down and flicked on the television.

'The Loop' was on and Everybody Talks by Neon Trees boomed through the speakers.

"Hey baby won't you look my way," My proud, dying duck like voice sung, "I can be your new addiction..."

"Shuddup!" My brother Vaughn shouted down the stairs. I giggled and stopped. A click sounded through the hallway as someone opened and closed the door. My heart raced, my palms immediately becoming sweaty. Was it... dad? I sighed as my mother entered the room, looking heart broken.

"Are you ok?"

There was a silence before she raised her hands to cover her face as tears slipped out of her eyes.

I gasped and hugged her tightly.

Eventually, she managed a few words through her sobs. "Your Aunt Edith died today. The cancer..."

After a while, I guided my poor mother to her room and tucked her into bed.

"It's ok to cry," I whispered, rubbing her back. "You go to sleep. I'll see you in the morning."

I walked back to the living room and just stood there, swaying slightly.

Realisation suddenly hit. My beloved aunt was dead. I collected my tub of ice cream from the fridge and sat down in front of the television.

I watched Disney movies all night.