Chapter 08: Virginia: A Walk in the Park

Chapter 08

Virginia: A Walk in the Park

I felt reasonably confident that I'd passed my quiz with at least a 90%. The other 10%, I wasn't so confident about. God, a B+ would make me sick. But I'd been sick all day, ever since I heard the word Bethesda.

"So, he said, 'Same time tomorrow, Bethesda,' not 'Beth,'" I explained to Quinn. "I'm such a dunce. After everything we shared, I really thought he called me the wrong name? It's insane."

"Don't be so hard on yourself."

"Have you heard of Bethesda Fountain?"

"Well, sure, it's famous."

"Why didn't you say anything?" I accused.

"You never said Bethesda! You kept saying Beth."

"Well, damn it, put two and two together."

"Are you seriously blaming me?" she said.

"I gotta blame someone, don't I? And I've spent all day blaming myself."

"Look, I have to say this, it's good you messed up. You know you can't actually meet him again, right?"

"Kinda..."

"Ginny, it's not possible. Tell me you know that."

"I know, but I'd of liked the option, you know? Or at least gone there incognito and seen him. Something like that."

"Do you hear yourself? Can we please just put Beau in the rearview? How are things with Tom?"

"I cancelled for tomorrow. I texted him, told him I was on my period, and I had a cold. I couldn't decide on a lie, and I panicked."

"Why would you do that?" Quinn said. "You should be with him."

"I had a day, okay? Never mind my quiz, all this info about the fountain."

"Beau is in the past, remember?" she said angrily. "Leave him there."

"Would it be so bad to have a conversation with him? Just to talk about that night and---"

"Yes, hell yes, a thousand times yes, that is a bad idea."

I looked at the clock. It was 6:30pm, almost 7:00pm, the time of my ceremony six weeks ago. "Do you think it's crazy if I went to the fountain tonight?"

"Oh, my God, you're not listening. Please, I am begging you, do not go there."

"He's not even going to be there," I defended. "I'm six weeks overdue."

"Then why go?"

"Cuz, cuz, I dunno. I want him not to be there."

"What?" she said in confusion.

"I want to go there, and for him not to be there. Then I can say, 'okay, this is what would have happened if I had been on time.' I feel like I owe it to the universe to at least show up there once, on time."

"Ginny, I am your friend, and I am telling you not to go. Please don't, for me. Think about Tom. Is it fair to him, cheating on him like that?"

"I wasn't going to have sex."

"It's emotional cheating."

"That is really unfair. He's cheated on me so many times."

"And you hate that about him. Do you want to do the same thing?"

I held a breath. "No."

"Good, no. So, you're going to stay here?"

I sighed. "Yeah."