Chapter 20: Brent: A Christmas Miracle

Chapter 20

Brent: A Christmas Miracle

Did she really think I wouldn't come for her? Did she think I'd let her go without a word? Did she not know how much I loved her?

I watched from the window as Tom slid that ring onto her finger. I had to act. This wasn't how I planned to save Ginny. I was going to wait until nightfall, call her, steal her away. But the despair on her face, she needed me now. I strapped my courage to my chest, and I went up to the front door.

Should I knock? No, there was no time. I tried the knob. It opened. I stepped in, looking both ways. A butler was farther down the corridor to the left. He spotted me, and I looked right, where all the noise was coming from.

I charged down the hall, passing tall windows on my right, and luxury rooms on my left, with so many pieces of antique furniture and sparkling chandeliers hanging overhead. There were Christmas decorations here and there, bows and bulbs and lights.

I saw the open room at the end of the hall, the people standing around a huge fireplace with a television set above it, and a big Christmas tree in the corner, all of them with drinks in their hand.

I stepped in the room and shouted, "Stop!"

Everyone jumped in surprise and looked at me. My eyes were on Ginny; her eyes were on me. Her face stretched wide, and her mouth hit the floor.

"Who the hell are you?" Thomas Sr. demanded.

"Brent!" Ginny gasped.

"Did you think I wouldn't fight for you?" I said to Ginny breathlessly. I looked at everyone. "My name is Brent Grayson, and I'm in love with Virginia Duclark!"

"Get out!" Diana screamed. "Get out of my house! Jonathan, get him out of here!"

"What on Earth is going on?" Jonathan said. "Who is this?"

Tom was on his feet, moving toward me. "You made a big mistake, fucker!" His eyes blazed with hatred.

"Ginny, come with me right now, and I'll take you away from all of this!" I said urgently.

The butler came up behind me. "Ma'am, I'm so sorry, he just barged in! Come along, young man!"

The butler grabbed my shoulder, but I shrugged him off. Tom was coming at me, his fists balled. My adrenaline was through the roof.

"Brent, go!" Ginny said. "Please just go!"

"She's not going anywhere with you!" Diana said.

"Harrison, call the police!" Olivia said. "This young man is going to jail! He's in violation of our restraining order!"

"Yes, ma'am!" the butler said from behind me, drawing out a cell phone and dialing.

"Ginny," I said desperately as Tom came closer, "it's now or never."

"It's never!" Diana screamed.

"What's going on here?" Jonathan said, stepping forward. "You're the young man my daughter was seeing? I want some answers."

"No!" Diana said. "I want him out of here! We won't listen to his lies!"

"Get out of our house, boy!" Olivia shouted. "Don't you dare say a word!"

I knew what they were afraid of, that I would talk about their silly ceremony or Olivia's indiscretion, but I wasn't there to humiliate them. "I'm only here because I love Ginny. Ginny and I met when—"

"You shut your mouth!" Diana shouted.

"When she came into my cafe," I said, looking at Diana and Olivia. "That's how we met, okay? That's it. I'm not a threat to you. She just came in for a coffee. We met, and we fell in love. I'm not here to hurt her, or any of you. I just want this family to give me a chance to be with her."