02

"Does anyone know what the mirror formula is?" Priya ma'am, their physics teacher, asked.

Instantly, Nidhi's hand shot up in the air, very much in a Hermione Granger style. But she was not the only one who raised their hand. The guy behind her raised his hand, along with the topper batch,  looking laid back.

"Yes, Tej?"

"1/v + 1/u = 1/f," the latter answered, earning himself a glare from Nidhi.

He raised his eyebrows at her making her huff and turn back around.

About an hour later, the electric bell rang, indicating that it was time for the most awaited time of the day; lunch break.

As Nidhi was eating her lunch quietly, she heard a familiar tune being hummed by someone behind her. She turned around to see that the person who was humming was none other than Tej.

She wanted to ask him if he knew 'Cradles' but it would be stupid as he was humming that song. It was really rare to find guys who listen to English music often in her class.

She finally made up her mind and turned around after she completed chewing her food. "Do you know 'Cradles'? The song you were humming?"

Tej looked up at her with his mouth full of rice. He nodded and said something incoherent as his mouth was full.

Nidhi chuckled. "Swallow the food and then talk."

"Yes," he answered after swallowing the food.

Not knowing how to continue the conversation, she nodded and turned back around. She was contemplating whether to ask him further about the songs and genres he listens to but hesitated thinking he might think she was making a move on him.

After a while, she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to that person.

"Do you know 'Cradles' too?" Tej asked.

"Yeah, I like that song. But it's not my favourite song though," she replied. "What's your favourite song?"

"'Believer'."

It would be a lie if Nidhi said she wasn't disappointed. She expected him to say some song which was obscure and undiscovered, not some super famous song. She didn't have anything against that song but everyone knew that song and it was mostly everyone's favourite too.

"What's yours?" Tej asked.

"Um, mine is 'It's About Time' by Kevin Quinn."

"Oh," he said, nodding. "I'm sorry, I don't know that song."

"It's alright, not many know that song here," she said smiling. "I like to listen to songs which are kind of undiscovered and obscure."

"Oh."

I should've read that How to Never Have Awkward Conversation book when my dad gave it instead of putting up a show saying I have good social skills when both of us know that it's not true, she thought, cursing herself. Should I recommend some songs to him?

"Is your lunch finished already?" Tej asked, surprised.

"Yeah, why are you so surprised?" Nidhi said, amused.

"It has been about 10 minutes since the break started, how did you finish it so fast?"

"I have a small lunch box and I don't talk while eating so . . ." Nidhi had this habit of hanging the sentence saying so in the end.

Their conversation was interrupted when one of his friends came and sat beside him.

"I thought you'd be lonely here in the front but you seem to have quite a fun time here." Varun, his friend, said. "And did you just talk to Nidhi? The one who never talks to anyone? Pranav would've been so jealous."