2 | a dangerous dance of secrets and desires.

"Heaven! My sincerest apologies, Your Majesty. Please forgive me," a sweet and melodic feminine voice resonated with genuine remorse.

The angry lines etched across Nik's face vanished in an instant as his eyes fell upon her. His scowl transformed into a faint smile, and a spark of curiosity ignited within him.

"I should have been more careful with my steps," she murmured, her voice carrying a hint of playfulness. She batted her eyelashes, allowing a subtle flirtatiousness to seep through her demeanor, as she continued gathering her scattered belongings. The air around them suddenly felt charged with a mix of curiosity and attraction.

"No, please, don't worry about it. Are you alright?" Niklaus, ever the gentleman, bent down to assist her, his gaze lingering on her face, imprinting every delicate feature into his memory. There was a sense of intrigue that sparked within him, captivated by her presence.

She didn't possess the conventional beauty with flowing platinum curls or ivory skin, nor did she have piercing green eyes. Instead, she had ginger hair elegantly tucked behind her ears, complementing her pale, sun-kissed skin. Her eyes, the color of the sand, held a captivating allure. Although shorter than average, there was a certain charm in her ordinariness that made her truly stunning. There was an undeniable radiance emanating from within her that rendered her absolutely irresistible to Niklaus.

He rose to his feet, gracefully extending his hand to return her belongings. With a gentle smile, she gracefully curtsied, expressing her gratitude for his assistance. The air seemed to hold a hint of reluctance as they acknowledged the end of their brief encounter.

As she turned to depart, a pang of longing echoed within Niklaus.

But as the fair maiden turned to leave, Niklaus couldn't resist the impulse that surged within him. In a swift motion, he reached out and caught her delicate wrist, halting her retreat. A fleeting moment of tension filled the air as she clenched her fists, uncertainty etched across her face. Her eyes squeezed shut, as if bracing herself for the unexpected, before gradually opening them to meet his gaze.

With a mix of determination and intrigue, she turned around to face Prince Niklaus, her expression a blend of caution and curiosity. The silence between them was pregnant with unspoken words, as if the world around them held its breath, waiting to witness the unfolding of their encounter.

As Niklaus caught the fair maiden's wrist, he quickly surveyed their surroundings, his gaze darting to the other officials moving about the floor. It was imperative to maintain the facade of not knowing her, to safeguard her identity from prying eyes. He felt a surge of determination to protect her, to shield her true self from being discovered. With a cautious glance, his eyes narrowed ever so slightly, concealing the flicker of recognition that sparked within him.

"I haven't seen you around here," Niklaus spoke, his tone guarded and skittish, as if attempting to maintain a semblance of ignorance. His words carried a subtle undercurrent, a warning that they needed to proceed with caution. It was a delicate dance, their interaction laced with secrecy and concealed intentions.

The fair maiden, too, understood the gravity of the situation. She met Niklaus's gaze, her eyes reflecting a blend of gratitude and apprehension. The unspoken agreement between them was clear - they would play their parts, keeping her true identity hidden from prying eyes. Their shared secret created a bond, an unspoken trust that transcended the superficialities of their encounter.

As the fair maiden felt Niklaus's firm grip on her wrist, a gulp escaped her lips, betraying a hint of nervousness that she expertly feigned. In that fleeting moment, she took a deep breath, steadying herself and assuming an air of composure. With a slight adjustment of her posture and a conscious effort to square her shoulders, she mustered the courage to respond.