The Latest! Local Cryptid Returns to the Scene

The world closed in on Yuki.

”I summon Osiris, the Egyptian God!”

He was done for.

A soft humming from above his head woke Yuki from his nap. He looked up to see the shining form of Winged Kuriboh floating above him. “What is it?”

Yubel appeared next to Kuriboh. “The stars are nearly out. Kuriboh and I think it’s best we leave.”

Yuki shifted to the edge of the motel bed. “And go where?”

”Home.”

He looked up at them, startled. “Home? To Academia?”

They nodded. “It’s time.”

Yuki had known this was coming for a long while. The world could no longer be allowed to believe he was dead, even for his own benefit. ”How do you know?”

Yubel nodded to his phone, which buzzed on cue. He picked it up and watched as a familiar face appeared, indicating that Tenjoin was calling. “She’s done this before,” he said. “It’ll go to voicemail.”

”That’s how you handle someone calling you for the first time after hearing you’re presumed dead?” Yubel crossed their arms. “Answer it.”

Yuki let it ring twice more before answering.

”Judai!” Asuka’s voice echoed in the tiny room. “Where have you been? People are saying you’re dead! Even Andersen thought so.”

A small pang of guilt tore through Yuki’s body. “I had to take care of some things.”

Asuka huffed. “He will not be happy. Neither will Sho.”

”Now you’re guilt-tripping me on purpose.” Yuki set down his phone and shuffled around the room, packing up his belongings. “I’ll come home.”

”Where are you now?”

He hesitated.

”Judai.”

”California.”

”Be on the next flight.”

The line went silent. Yuki shouldered his bag, stuffed his phone in his pocket, and opened the door.

Asuka was waiting at the airport. She hugged him and welcomed him home, ignoring how stiff his shoulders were. Yuki used to initiate physical touch, often hugging his friends without much warning. Now he tensed when hugged. So much had changed.

”I missed you,” she said.

”I missed you,” Yuki replied.

”Look, about the letter… my brother…“

”It’s not a problem.” Yuki smiled at the mention of the letter from his former classmates, which was still tucked into his bag. Fubuki had written a joke about Asuka in it, suggesting she and Yuki would be good together. Yuki disagreed.

”Good. Because you’ve missed a lot.” Asuka hooked her arm through his and dragged him across the street as she talked. "Sho and Ryou started their own pro ring."

"That's great!" Yuki attempted to be interested in what Asuka was saying. "I'm happy for them."

"It's very successful. They're donating a lot of the proceeds to stopping the underground dueling." She stopped at a black car and opened the passenger door for Yuki. "And I teach at Academia."

"This car is way too fancy for a teacher!" Yuki teased as he slid in. "As these seats real leather?"

"Sho bought it."