Death

"Regulus is a good boy," he'd said just moments before at the breakfast table when Walburga noted the uncharacteristic lateness of their son, the one who stayed. "He'd never do anything to purposefully disappoint us," noting Regulus might have been up late studying for his NEWTs, following up with the other option of Regulus having late-night activities she knew he personally disapproved of.

Regulus was a good boy, a sweet boy.

That thought crossed Orion's as his breath drew in, his dark eyes focused on the apparent death date of the youngest member of the Black family, his baby boy. A hand clenched the back of one of the couches in an attempt to steady himself as a—

He couldn't describe the feeling at that moment beyond how he heard Walburga screaming as he started falling, unable to control his body and—

Then there was whiteness.

Orion looked around.

And he knew he was looking around for a certain someone as he sat up, then stood up.

There was Regulus, his slight figure hunched up in the whiteness, sitting on a hill as white grass sprung up around the boy as he buried his head in his arms. He looked so alone, so frightened at that moment, yet Orion knew why. "We had, after all, pushed him towards that group. Walburga with her words and me with my silence. He stepped forward and then, "Regulus?"

Regulus didn't respond.

"Regulus? Dear boy?"

Regulus' head tilted up, his eyes blinking. He looked at his father in confusion before saying softly, "You shouldn't be here."

"A parent shouldn't ever have to bury their child, Regulus," Orion said.

The glazed look in Regulus' eyes as horror spread across his face, which he buried. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

Orion watched as the boy's body shook, deciding to sit down next to the boy. "Regulus, why didn't you ask anyone for help?"

"I didn't think anyone would miss me." Regulus' head came back up.

"You didn't think anyone cared?"

Regulus worried his lip, something he always did whenever he'd thought he'd done something to disappoint. "If you're here so soon, then I was wrong?"

He turned to look at his father, tears in his eyes. Orion smiled, reaching out to gently take the boy's chin in his hand. "I care."

"But you have Sirius. If I'm gone..."

"Sirius wouldn't have come back. Sirius..."

He saw his baby boy's eyes widen, then dart away. "Sirius. I miss him. Not that he..."

"He's going to miss you. More than you could ever imagine."

"Sirius hates me."

"He doesn't. He..." Orion frowned, leaning forward to touch his forehead to his youngest child's forehead. "He's going to be devastated. Not at learning, I'm gone. But you? Don't underestimate..."

"Sirius. I need to know he's okay. I need him to know," Regulus shook his head. "I don't know."

"Orion!" He could hear her voice.

"I want to be with you, little one. I don't want to leave you here, all alone and afraid. It was horrific, wasn't it?"

Regulus shook his head, not wanting to talk about it. "I need..."

"Orion,"

"A chance to say goodbye?" Orion wanted to be there, stay there. "Wait for me? Wait for me, Regulus, and I'll be back? It won't be long, but I'll make sure to speak with Sirius."