Prologue

Harry sighed, his fingers raking through his hair for the hundredth time. It was becoming a bit of a habit it seemed, the longer he sat here, along with his leg that appeared to have acquired a mind all its own as it shook twitchingly.

He sat up, his pants sliding along the plastic of his chair as his eyes wandered over to Liam's desk. Liam however, was painfully absent, though he could clearly see a name plate that read "L. Payne" sitting neatly atop it.

He fidgeted, his left hand tugging at the lapels of his jacket as his right moved in to wipe down the length of his thighs despite the fact that there was no perspiration. The room was far too chilly for clammy-ness even with his current level of anxiety.

He inspected his outfit again, a nice dress shirt with chocolate sateen skinny pants, a tie and a beige II bean barn jacket with chesnut lapels and matching buttons.

Gemma had helped him pick it, using her employee discount at Nordstrom in order to help him out. He'd felt horribly guilty having her buy him such expensive things, but she'd assured him it was fine.

"Don't worry." she'd said, "You can pay me back when you get the job."

Harry smiled, Gemma's confidence in him relaxing him minutely, a shakey breath escaping him as Liam stepped out from a double doored room.

Liam smiled professionally at him, "Mr. Tomlinson will see you now."

Harry nodded, rising to his feet to walk towards the door and honestly he felt like he might throw up. Liam stopped him at the door with a hand in his shoulder.

"Relax." he told him softly, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Liam offered him a small reassuring smile that he gratefully received, then Liam's hand and smile were gone and before he knew it Liam opened the door and they both stepped into the office.

The first thing Harry noticed was the lack of furnishing. Well actually the first thing he noticed was the freakishly large windows masquerading as walls. There was a large desk very neat and tidy backed almost completely up against the window straight across from the door. Just behind it, there was a large black rather rectangular chair with it's back facing Harry.

"Mr. Tomlinson." Liam greeted the chair, and Harry swallowed nervously, he felt like he'd just walked onto the set of a James Bond movie.

"Your nine o'clock is here sir." Liam told him, and it was kind of freaking Harry out a little bit. He'd never heard Liam's voice sound so cold and void before. So emotionless.

"Very Well." said 'the chair', sounding every bit as void as Liam. "You're excused."

Liam nodded respectively, despite the fact no one was actually looking, before turning to Harry and offering him a glance Harry took to mean 'good luck' as he exited the room, leaving Harry and 'the chair' alone.

Harry swallowed, unsure of what to do. He'd been on plenty of job interviews in the last six months but none so terrifying as this. He stood there frozen, attempting to busy his mind with the familiar sights on the desk until a voice spoke up.

"So." it said, the man who owned it not bothering to turn around. "You're here to apply for the opening as my secretary I take it?"

Harry nodded before realizing the man couldn't see him, "Yes." he answered.

"I was told of the position by a close friend." he explained.

A scoff, "Payne." the man says, as though that were a very poorly written joke, "I was under the impression he didn't have any friends, much less 'close' ones." he said.