Super Smash Bros!

Chapter 1
Super Smash Bros!

---

The morning started off like any other day. Wake up, check my phone, then lazily drag myself out of bed and recite many possibilities of how the day could go.

This time, before anything else, I wanted to play the new Super Smash Bros because, well, who wouldn't? New edition, new triumphs to experience.

"All hail lord Chiaki!" My friends would often tease me after I would easily kick their butts at the game. They weren't really gamers to begin with, but after watching me play some of my favorite games of all time and a few sessions of persuading, they gave it a try.

"Oh, thanks," I would say while downing their health bar in seconds at round two. It was a weird dynamic I between my friends, them sneaking over to my house at two in the morning because they were, quote unquote, bored enough for me to invite them to my good 'ol video games.

"Better watch your back at school, princess. I won't let my defeat slide without justifiable revenge," My loudest friend out of the group, Ibuki, would whisper-shout this before climbing out of my window.

I would yell back at her, causing my parents (usually my mom) to stomp their way up the stairs, into my room, and eye me suspiciously.

This time, they didn't go over to my house. I didn't mind it, but it was unusual for them to skip a planned day for a sleepover that my parents didn't know we were having. I check the calendar on my bedroom wall for the date. Just in case I missed something..

February 6th—the number after the crossed out 5th. Good. Nothing missed. I pull out my pink highlighter and scribble over the sixth, outlining the number after.

Pulling out my drawer, I slip on my school uniform. It was still four in the morning, so I had a few hours to spare before my school started. A case titling Super Smash Bros Brawl was shoved against the foot of my bed. I pick up the case, take out the disk and insert it into my console. The morning sunlight cracked through my curtains and reflected off the empty TV screen, making me cover my eyes and withdraw to the shades of my room.

This was, infact, any other day.

________________________

"Good morning, Chiaki." My homeroom teacher greets me with a warm smile. I wave my hand at her, smiling, before heading off to my first class of the day.

I pass by a few people who are eyeing me curiously. I wouldn't blame them, really, I was known for being the lady who's up for any gaming competition—though they were probably staring at me because my uniform was messily draped over me, not to mention my hair that would stick out in odd directions.

To my defense, I was quite invested in the game that I didn't notice school was about to begin in a few minutes. It was only until my mom came into my room saying, "Sweetheart, you haven't had your breakfast y—" When she was cut off by my final last exhale of joy when I finally beat my bothersome opponent.

It takes me a moment to register my mom is standing in my room, and that triggers a realization that her seeing the reason why I was about to be late to school makes me giggle internally. "Sorry, Ma, I'll eat it when I get home," is all I say before I give her a lopsided grin, rushing out of my bedroom door.

I sigh, readjusting the tie on my torso when I'm about to enter my history class. I wouldn't want to look like a slob in front of my crush.