Vol. 2, Chapter 2 - An Assassin's Blade

Part 1

(Ayanokoji POV)

After Karma discussed his plan with me during lunch, we headed back to the classroom, and class resumed as usual. The last period of the afternoon ended, and everyone got up, headed for the locker rooms to change in to their PE uniforms, and headed for the open field. Horikita and Yousuke began taking charge, and instructed everyone on what to do.

On the girls' side, Onodera began instructing the girls for their warm-ups. For the boys, Yousuke and Sudo too began instructing everyone in their warm-ups. Everyone participated, except Koenji, who is seated on a nearby bench looking at his own reflection in the mirror.

Once warm-ups were done, we all moved on to our cardiovascular endurance training. We jogged a couple of laps around the field. For myself, Karma, and a few others, it wasn't much of a problem. On the other hand, Keisei, the Professor, Miyamoto, and a few others were lagging behind. We moved on to work on our upper extremities, then our core extremities, and lastly our lower extremities.

Next up was combat. For this one, Horikita was handling the girls, with Onodera assisting her every now and then. For the boys, Sudo and Akito were the ones in charge. Earlier I asked Karma why he didn't say anything about combat training, and he gave me two reasons. One, he wanted to be able to see first what the others are capable of, and second, I might've been dragged along.

Akito and Sudo first worked on everyone's foot work. In combat, proper foot work is important because of three reasons. One, makes us hit harder. Second, it puts us in a position to hit. Third, it gets us out of danger.

Footwork makes us hit harder by allowing us to throw our body weight behind our punches and kicks. It puts us in a position to hit by allowing to move and zone to the areas where the opening may be available. Lastly it gets us out of danger by allowing us to move and evade any incoming attacks.

Of course in this exam, the goal is to land a hit on enemies using our weapons. Once they've been tagged by our paint-laced weapons, they're out. This was for close quarters combat. It will be very different if we were fighting from a distance.

(Karma POV)

I've come to realize how few competent people there are in this class. There are so few students who could even be considered to be well-rounded, and those who can prove themselves to be competent specialize in one area, but lack in others; or their area of expertise is too specific, or situational. This was evident when Horikita-san had to resort to drastic measures in order to get Koenji-kun to actually make use of his abilities. She herself recognizes, that not only would Koenji-kun's cooperation be vital in reaching Class A, but that there are so few competent individuals in this class.

If we're gonna go off the list of those who are well-rounded, we have Hirata-kun, Horikita-san, Kushida-san, Koenji-kun, Kiyo, and myself. However, there's an issue with this. For one, both of these well-rounded individuals are the class leaders. Another is Kushida-san, who is a two-faced, delusional child. Koenji-kun, and Kiyo don't use their abilities. Lastly, there's me. If I'm being honest, I'd rather the class not rely on me too much if they're gonna reach class A. Kiyo also shares this same sentiment, and is one of the reasons why he doesn't make full use of his abilities, other than not wanting to stand out of course.

Those who specialize in one area though severely lag behind in other areas. For one, there's Yukimura-kun, whose strong point is hi academic ability, but lags behind in athletics, and Sudo-kun, who lacks in academics. However, according to Kiyo, Sudo-kun's getting better in academics, going from an E to a C in just a year. If he keeps going like this, he could become on par with the likes of Hirata-kun, and Horikita-san.