Vol. 3, Chapter 4 - Loose Ends

Part 1

Once the duel between Karma and Koenji concluded, all students went back to their respective quarters. As they were given the day to freely do whatever they want, both Classes D and B decided to recuperate, and recover from whatever they sustained from participating in the exam. Classes A and C meanwhile, took this opportunity to train some more, and prepare themselves for their exam the next day.

As the students were doing their respective activities, a man was running through the forest, away from the exam site. Once he made it to the site's main entrance, he had to turn to a different direction once he noticed that there were more guards stationed there. He stealthily, but quickly made a beeline for a nearby cliffside, hoping to get away from that place.

He ran with all his might, huffing and puffing, nearly stumbling down along the way. Once he reached the cliffside, he stopped for a moment, his back hunched over, hands clutching his knees, as he tries to catch his breath. Before he could climb down to get to safety, a gun shot was fired right next to where his feet stood. He turned around, arms raised, and his eyes met with his pursuer - a man dressed in a camo uniform, with his spiky hair waving from the blowing wind. His stern expression was more serious than normal.

His pursuer approached him while pointing his gun. "You've done a good job hiding from us so far. Because of my position, I couldn't exactly make any sort of drastic movement without causing a panic. Instead I had some of my subordinates monitor you the moment I started to suspect something was up."

He slowly closed his distance, and the soldier looked at Agent Karasuma with pleading eyes. He was sweating bullets, not wanting to get caught, nor killed.

"Who are you? Who do you work for, and why were you trying to eliminate Ayanokoji Kiyotaka? His elimination during the first 20 minutes would have resulted in his expulsion. It wouldn't have been an issue if it were a student who got him out, but you were also tryin to ink him using Class B's team paint color. This tells me that whoever sent you must want him out of this school at all costs, and somehow had access to confidential information kept by the school."

The man immediately shook his head vigorously, denying the accusation thrown at him, but Agent Karasuma knew better. He had received a message prior to the day Classes B and D were to compete, that someone from his staff might try to interfere. Had Karasuma not been informed and made the wrong judgement, Ayanokoji's expulsion would have been assured.

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Lying won't do you any favors here. We checked the inventory, and found one of the air gun rifles missing from stock, along with a canister of blue bbs. Last night, at around 1 am, when everyone was asleep, one of your companions woke up to you leaving your quarters."

"I-I was just getting up to use the bathroom."

"Yes, that's what he told me as well. However, at around 9 pm, I personally checked the inventory of equipment to be used by the students, and not a single one was out of place. When we checked it again 6 am in the morning, a rifle, and a canister of blue bbs were missing. We checked the security footage, and found that someone had tampered with it. The one on charge for monitor that night also went missing."

The man sweat-dropped, trembling on his knees. "Are you saying I'm the one responsible for all this?!"

"Although we have no concrete proof, your little bathroom break at 1 am pinned you as the primary suspect. If you weren't guilty, you wouldn't have been trying to run away from the exam site as soon as the duel was over."

"Y-you were chasing me with a gun!"

"You were already running before I even started chasing you. Now talk, who are you?!"